Regulation of Mintage Quantities

Mintage quantities of the Euro coins.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules

Regulation of Mintage Quantities

Postby melitikus » 21 Feb 2009, 14:22

Is there any regulatory body that regulates that each country does not mint more coins than what it states or is allowed to? :think:
melitikus
100 Posts
100 Posts

Re: Regulation of Mintage Quantities

Postby theeuro » 24 Feb 2009, 16:35

This is an interesting question. The European Central Bank regulates the quantity of Euro coins that each National Central Bank is permitted to issue each year. The number is based on a share system whereby each NCB is given a certain share of the total Euro coins that are issued throughout the EMU each year. A share is based on the size or projected size of the Member State's GDP for that year. A share number can be adjusted by the ECB at any point during the year. The current share numbers have been in effect since December, 2008.

An exception to this number occurs when an NCB must replace Euro coins that have been returned due to defacing, or other such circumstances. This exception is usually exercised every other year or so (for Germany and sometimes France and Spain, it is almost once per quarter due to the sheer number of Euro coins that need replacing). The replacement number must be approved by the ECB as well, but may be done so separately from the quantity share for a particular year.

For the most part, each NCB is responsible for regulating themselves when it comes to the number of Euro coins issued in a particular year. However, the ECB may impose temporary restrictions for one particular year for reasons such as over issuance of 2 Euro commemorative coins. These restrictions have yet to be enacted for any of the Member States.
MdV
The Euro Information Website and Forum Administrator
theeuro
Site Admin

Postby melitikus » 24 Feb 2009, 20:07

Theeuro thanks for your reply but is there a regulatory body that monitors if the actual volume of coins being minted is the same as the approved one? For instance, Malta was allowed to mint 700,000 €2 CC EMU Coins – I am asking did someone check that Malta didn’t exceed this volume?

Mainly I am asking this question because I am noticing that even though the microstate of San Marino can mint a limited number of coins each year – I am very surprised that new comers (collectors) can easily be put on their waiting list and practically 6 months after their request they receive an order form. I mean if every year San Marino sells all its sets then how come every year it keeps taking in new customers if the mintage quantity remains more or less the same

Just an observation
melitikus
100 Posts
100 Posts

Postby recycle » 24 Mar 2010, 12:23

melitikus wrote:Theeuro thanks for your reply but is there a regulatory body that monitors if the actual volume of coins being minted is the same as the approved one? For instance, Malta was allowed to mint 700,000 €2 CC EMU Coins – I am asking did someone check that Malta didn’t exceed this volume?

Mainly I am asking this question because I am noticing that even though the microstate of San Marino can mint a limited number of coins each year – I am very surprised that new comers (collectors) can easily be put on their waiting list and practically 6 months after their request they receive an order form. I mean if every year San Marino sells all its sets then how come every year it keeps taking in new customers if the mintage quantity remains more or less the same

Just an observation

It doesnt matter of which country are the coins that the local bank withdraw from the circulation. its just the amount. and for this same reason local bank of malta bought 1 and 2 cent dutch coins and local bank of cyprus finnish coins. if san marino withdraws the correct amount of euro coins (doesnt matter the origin) then they can mint new coins. in theory it is possible that all circulating coins can be only from one country, even microstate. but to be done all coins have to be withdrawn from that local bank.
recycle
1 Post
1 Post

Return to Mintage Quantities