[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 18: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 19: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool.
The Euro Information Website Forum • View topic - Design concepts of the Treaty of Rome €2 Commemorative

Design concepts of the Treaty of Rome €2 Commemorative

2007 Treaty of Rome €2 Commemorative
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules

Design concepts of the Treaty of Rome €2 Commemorative

Postby theeuro » 13 Oct 2008, 10:51

In 2007, the EU members of the Eurozone collectively issued a commemorative €2 coin in honour of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome, the founding document of the European Union.

The idea to issue a common commemorative with this anniversary as the subject was first expressed at a meeting, in 2005, of ECOFIN, the governing body within the EU of the European Monetary Union.

The 13 ministers representing the 13 EU members of the EMU asked their respective National Central Banks to produce a design conceptualising the Treaty of Rome and/or a united Europe. In 2006, the designs were completed and two rounds of voting took place among the MEPs of the EU parliament. The first round resulted in the trial production in very limited number of the top two design choices, the second vote resulted in the final design of the issue from the two trial productions.

The Royal Dutch Mint was commissioned to produce the trials before the results were known in the first round.
The thirteen design choices are as follows:

Austria
Austrian Treaty of Rome concept
The planetary alignment at the time of the signing in 1957 along with twelve signs of the zodiac.
First round votes: .5% (11)

Belgium
Belgian Treaty of Rome concept
Artistic impression of the meeting, during which the Treaty was signed. This design came from one of the few photographs of the meeting.
First round votes: 14% (3)

Finland
Finnish Treaty of Rome concept
Twelve effigies encircled with the familiar twelve stars of the EU flag above them.
First round votes: 7% (6)

France
French Treaty of Rome concept
Robert Schuman, who, along with Konrad Adenauer and Paul-Henri Spaak, is considered a Founding Father of the EU.
First round votes: 5% (7)

Germany
German Treaty of Rome concept
The Piazza del Campidoglio in Rome, where the treaty was signed.
First round votes: 12% (4)

Greece
Greek Treaty of Rome concept
This concept bears similarity to the Greek 2 Euro standard circulation coin design. A scene from a mosaic in Sparta, showing Europa being abducted by Zeus (a bull). Europa is a figure from Greek mythology after whom Europe was named.
First round votes: 1.5% (10)

Ireland
Irish Treaty of Rome concept
A tree, the Irish symbol for unity, over a map of a border-less Europe.
First round votes: 1.5% (10)

Italy
Italian Treaty of Rome concept
Statue of Marcus Aurelius on horseback. A replica of this statue s at the center of the Piazza del Campidoglio in Rome, where the treaty was signed.
First round votes: 9% (5)

Luxembourg
Luxembourgish Treaty of Rome concept
A stylised Piazza del Campidoglio, integrated into the design motif of Luxembourg's standard circulation 1 and 2 Euro coins.
First round votes: 23% (1)*
Second round votes: 41% (2)

Netherlands
Dutch Treaty of Rome concept
Twelve arches, representing the twelve stars of the EU flag, over the Piazza del Campidoglio.
First round votes: 2% (9)

Portugal
Portuguese Treaty of Rome concept
A ship, whose central sail depicts the EU flag, floating on a stylised Piazza del Campidoglio. This design concept exemplifies Europe's maritime legacy.
First round votes: .5% (11)

Slovenia
Slovene Treaty of Rome concept
The signed Treaty of Rome with the Piazza del Campidoglio in the background. The Slovenian submission received the second highest votes in the first round and ultimately won the poll, with 59% of the votes in the second round.
First round votes: 21% (2)*
Second round votes: 59% (1)

Another vote was held to confirm the slightly redesigned version, which moved the treaty to the centre of the design and incorporated the German submission concept of the Piazza del Campidoglio.
Final treatment to the Slovene Treaty of Rome concept

Spain
Spanish Treaty of Rome concept
Hand holding a seed among a field of stars.
First round votes: 3% (8)
Last edited by theeuro on 22 Oct 2008, 11:53, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added a missed detail/fixed dates
MdV
The Euro Information Website and Forum Administrator
theeuro
Site Admin

Re: Design concepts of the Treaty of Rome €2 Commemorative

Postby dblcala » 14 Oct 2008, 03:12

I did not know that new euro country at that time - Slovenia, won the contest.
I wonder, where beside this forum is possible to find this information. Can you help the euro?
Thank you for great article !
dblcala
50 Posts
50 Posts

Postby theeuro » 14 Oct 2008, 03:18

dblcala wrote:I did not know that new euro country at that time - Slovenia, won the contest.
I wonder, where beside this forum is possible to find this information. Can you help the euro?
Thank you for great article !

This is the only place to find this information. It was for this type of information that I wanted a forum on this website, since it doesn't really fit into the structure of the website.
MdV
theeuro
Site Admin

Postby theeuro » 14 Oct 2008, 03:23

On another note- there were more than the thirteen designs seen here submitted for consideration. Some EU members outside the EMU misunderstood the request for concepts and Denmark, Slovakia, Sweden, Great Britain, Malta, San Marino, Vatican City and Monaco also submitted concepts. While these concepts were included in the first round vote by default, they were not part of the final count. Had any one of these designs received any large percentage (more than 4%) of the overall votes, it would have been included.

These images are forthcoming.
MdV
theeuro
Site Admin

Postby dblcala » 14 Oct 2008, 03:38

Wow!
I was wondering how it was with choosing the design for Treaty of Rome coin - now I know. It looks like it was internal affair in the UE parliment.
Are they know the dates of voting for each round?
Thanks,again. :)
dblcala
50 Posts
50 Posts

Postby Miguel.mateo » 14 Oct 2008, 05:30

A very nice story indeed, thanks MdV!

Miguel
Miguel.mateo
500 Posts
500 Posts

Postby ewri » 17 Oct 2008, 01:16

Very interesting read. Thanks.
ewri
10 Posts
10 Posts

Postby CopperWire » 22 Oct 2008, 00:17

Excellent read! I have a Slovenia coin on its way in the post as we speak. I am deciding whether to collect the others but am undecided at this point.
CopperWire
20 Posts
20 Posts

Postby Miguel.mateo » 22 Oct 2008, 06:53

CopperWire wrote:Excellent read! I have a Slovenia coin on its way in the post as we speak. I am deciding whether to collect the others but am undecided at this point.

My view is "If you have one, you will want to have them all" ;) I do have them all and I a do not regret it ...

Thanks,
Miguel
Miguel.mateo
500 Posts
500 Posts

Postby CopperWire » 23 Oct 2008, 16:35

Do you have the non-euro Cyprus and Hungarian coins as well? I also saw that Hungary produced some bullion coins with the theme as well.

CopperWire
CopperWire
20 Posts
20 Posts

Postby Miguel.mateo » 23 Oct 2008, 16:56

No sorry, only collect euros for now ...

Miguel
Miguel.mateo
500 Posts
500 Posts

Postby CopperWire » 23 Oct 2008, 17:01

Check out a photo of the Cypriotic version of the Treaty of Rome. You will want it to add to your set. Its essentially the same design!

CW
CopperWire
20 Posts
20 Posts

Postby melitikus » 14 Mar 2009, 13:37

theeuro wrote:On another note- there were more than the thirteen designs seen here submitted for consideration. Some EU members outside the EMU misunderstood the request for concepts and Denmark, Slovakia, Sweden, Great Britain, Malta, San Marino, Vatican City and Monaco also submitted concepts. While these concepts were included in the first round vote by default, they were not part of the final count. Had any one of these designs received any large percentage (more than 4%) of the overall votes, it would have been included.

These images are forthcoming.

still waiting for these images :think:
:)
melitikus
100 Posts
100 Posts

Return to Treaty of Rome