Is there an historical sigma involved in ἱημι ?

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Gumboocho

Is there an historical sigma involved in ἱημι ?

Post by Gumboocho »

bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
Greetings Wade & others on this forum. I just read Wade's comments on iBiblio on the Aorist tense, and I thought they were good. I recall years ago suffering with Machen's introductory grammar in Bible college, then later discovering Goetchius' Language of the NT which took a morphological (or morphical if you wish) to Greek, which was a quantum improvement. It looks like Wade may have taken Goetchius to a higher level. Is there any Greek textbook currently in print which has Wade's super linguistic approach?

BTW, it is a great insight (IMHO) to consider ἱημι (from which ἀφίημι, a veritable mess :D in paradigms) as exhibiting reduplication with iota, a sign of the present stem (thus a great aid on parsing its forms as probably present or imperfect). Does anyone have any explanation of this reduplication, which lacks a visible consonant in the reduplication? We explain histēmi as sigma changing to rough breathing (though it does not do so in σῴζω. Is there an historical sigma involved in ἱημι ?

Thanks for your response. Gumboocho

PS This forum rejected my Captcha answer as to what was the feminine article (for a feminine noun) when I used for an answer hē, but accepted he.
Jason Hare

Re: Is there an historical sigma involved in ἱημι ?

Post by Jason Hare »

Gumboocho wrote: April 26th, 2023, 5:24 pm PS This forum rejected my Captcha answer as to what was the feminine article (for a feminine noun) when I used for an answer hē, but accepted he.
It would have accepted . ;)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Yes, I believe there is an historical sigma somewhere in the mix. Notice that both BrillDAG and LSJ mention a possible connection to a Latin cognate sēmen (though I don’t get any hits for sēmen in Diogenes).
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Wiktionary is your friend for these etymological inquiries: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BC%B ... E%BC%CE%B9

Basically, there's no historical sigma, but an historical yod, which also evanesces in similar ways.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Enriqueprilt

-

Post by Enriqueprilt »

I believe there must be something up there as I think that its impossible that the world just created itself by chance. The Bible does have a lot of cp in it, yes but at the same time I respect peoples beliefs if they somehow stand by what is said.
Jason Hare

Re: -

Post by Jason Hare »

Enriqueprilt wrote: February 18th, 2024, 12:46 pm I believe there must be something up there as I think that its impossible that the world just created itself by chance. The Bible does have a lot of cp in it, yes but at the same time I respect peoples beliefs if they somehow stand by what is said.
Is this related to Greek or to the conversation above? We have been overrun with spam recently, and I am inclined to think that this post is also spam. If you do not write back and explain your post, I will assume that this is indeed spam and will delete this post and your user. It is not a normal first post on a new forum, especially one that is specifically oriented toward the study and promotion of the Greek language.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
mikeatnip

Post by mikeatnip »

Stephen Carlson wrote: May 1st, 2023, 6:34 pm Wiktionary is your friend for these etymological inquiries: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BC%B ... E%BC%CE%B9

Basically, there's no historical sigma, but an historical yod, which also evanesces in similar ways.
Thanks for this. It makes sense. (Of course, just because it makes sense does not make it correct.)
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian

Return to “Greek Language and Linguistics”