A Chiasm in 2 Corinthians 13:3-5?

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Rob Campanaro

A Chiasm in 2 Corinthians 13:3-5?

Post by Rob Campanaro »

In 2 Corinthians 13:3, both the Nestle Aland and UBS make επει (since) a continuation of Paul's thought beginning in verse 1:

"...οὐ φείσομαι, ἐπεὶ δοκιμὴν ζητεῖτε..." "...I will not spear [anyone], since you are seeking proof..."

What I'm exploring is the possibility that Paul actually began a new sentence with verse 3:

Ἐπεὶ δοκιμὴν ζητεῖτε... "Since you are seeking proof..."

Taken this way, vv. 3-5 would appear to create a chiasm which looks like:

(A) Ἐπεὶ δοκιμὴν ζητεῖτε τοῦ ἐν ἐμοὶ λαλοῦντος Χριστοῦ ὃς εἰς ὑμᾶς οὐκ ἀσθενεῖ ἀλλὰ δυνατεῖ ἐν ὑμῖν

(B) καὶ γὰρ ἐσταυρώθη ἐξ ἀσθενείας, ἀλλὰ ζῇ ἐκ δυνάμεως θεοῦ.

(B) καὶ γὰρ ἡμεῖς ἀσθενοῦμεν ἐν αὐτῷ, ἀλλὰ ζήσομεν 1σὺν αὐτῷ ἐκ δυνάμεως θεοῦ εἰς ὑμᾶς.

(A) Ἑαυτοὺς πειράζετε εἰ ἐστὲ ἐν τῇ πίστει, ἑαυτοὺς δοκιμάζετε·

A Chiasm here would further underscore what I believe is the most likely interpretation of this passage which is that the proof of Christ speaking through Paul is the fact that the Corinthians are indeed, in the faith. As Calvin said: "In the first place, as there is but one Christ, it must be of necessity, that the same Christ must dwell alike in minister and people. Now, dwelling in the people, how will he deny himself in the minister."

What are everyone's thoughts?
Robert Campanaro
Coatesville, PA
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: A Chiasm in 2 Corinthians 13:3-5?

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

The Greek New Testament, Produced at Tyndale House, Cambridge wrote:2 προείρηκα καὶ προλέγω, ὡς παρὼν τὸ δεύτερον καὶ ἀπὼν νῦν, τοῖς προημαρτηκόσιν καὶ τοῖς λοιποῖς πᾶσιν, ὅτι ἐὰν ἔλθω εἰς τὸ πάλιν οὐ φείσομαι. 3 ἐπεὶ δοκιμὴν ζητεῖτε τοῦ ἐν ἐμοὶ λαλοῦντος χριστοῦ ὃς εἰς ὑμᾶς οὐκ ἀσθενεῖ ἀλλὰ δυνατεῖ ἐν ὑμῖν. 4 καὶ γὰρ ἐσταυρώθη ἐξ ἀσθενείας ἀλλὰ ζῇ ἐκ δυνάμεως θεοῦ· καὶ γὰρ ἡμεῖς ἀσθενοῦμεν ἐν αὐτῷ ἀλλὰ ζήσομεν σὺν αὐτῷ ἐκ δυνάμεως θεοῦ εἰς ὑμᾶς.
Rob Campanaro

Re: A Chiasm in 2 Corinthians 13:3-5?

Post by Rob Campanaro »

I didn't think to check my THGNT. Yes, they agree that verse 3 starts a new sentence. That's at least encouraging. Thanks!
Robert Campanaro
Coatesville, PA

Return to “Greek Language and Linguistics”