David Yoon on the Perfect Tense - 1 Cor 7:14

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: David Yoon on the Perfect Tense - 1 Cor 7:14

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Shouldn't give the impression that I picked up ideas simply from reading. I was working with AI people for over a decade. My introduction to what some people call "cognitive" was over a Mexican lunch with Randy Groves a UNIX SysAd for the AI group. He just explained the concepts without mentioning the framework. It was more than a decade later reading about the Biblical Hebrew Semantic Domains project that I discovered these ideas being used for biblical language research.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Thanks for the input all
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: June 13th, 2020, 8:58 am Another weigh in on the perfect tense form - this time by David I. Yoon from McMaster, coming down on the side of stative aspect. Just got flagged by my google alerts

https://www.bskorea.or.kr/data/pdf/46-1 ... 0Yoon).pdf

Of interest it references the semi-mythical notion of a volume from Peter Lang based off the 2013 conferene with Buist Fanning, Stanley Porter and Constantine Campbell... I would love to see this come out, but I have heard about it for so many years now I am beginning to think it is a literary unicorn!
I find it odd that he cites Fanning's essay in The Greek Verb Revisited but not the chapters in the book that actually deal with the perfect.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Greek Language and Linguistics”