Latin -io(n) > Greek ιων/-εων

Biblical Greek morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Jean Putmans

Latin -io(n) > Greek ιων/-εων

Post by Jean Putmans »

I wondered why two latin words, legio and regio, became Greek loanwords λεγιων/λεγεων and ρεγιων/ρεγεων: why the two different forms of the words -ιων and -εων? They probably had a different pronunciation in Greek. One would expect Latin -ion > Greek -ιων, but the most common form seems to have been Greek -εων.

Some background, why this is important to me:
The Gothic bible transcribes λεγεων (RP2005)/λεγιων (NA28) with laigaion (-ai- in this case is not a Diphthongue but an open short vowel -e- like in English "end"). A similar Gothic transcription of the Greek name συμεων > swmaion, shows, that the Gothic -aion ist the rendering of a Greek -εων. Greek -ιων would have become a Gothic -ion (like in Σιων > Sion).

The Gothic people had contact with Roman Forces before the translation of the Bible-Texts, so probably they already knew the Latin words legion/region. But in that case I would have expected the transcription with -ion instead of -aion, unless the Latin-speaking Roman soldiers pronounced the -ion as -eon (with a short open vowel -e-).

Some statistics:
TLG gives 21 Instances of λεγιων and 54 of λεγεων; ρεγιων/ρεγεων: 0 ;
my Migne-PG-Corpus has λεγεων: 104, λεγιων: 7; ρεγεων: 11, ρεγιων: 0.

Pape, Passow and Bailly just have λεγεων, no λεγιων and neither ρεγεων, nor ρεγιων.
LSJ has λεγεων/λεγιων and ρεγεων/ρεγιων
Probably -εων was the most common form in Greek.
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
Stephen Carlson

Re: Latin -io(n) > Greek ιων/-εων

Post by Stephen Carlson »

There is a sound change in late Latin that merged short i and long e. That’s why scribes varied in how that transliterated Latin short i into Greek.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jean Putmans

Post by Jean Putmans »

thanks, the "late Latin" would be the period (roughly) 3th cent. CE till 8th cent. CE?

That would fit to the period in which the Gothic bible "developed" (starting at the end of the 4th cent. and ending with the writing of the Codex Argenteus (ca. 500 CE.).
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Yes, roughly.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Also, remember that there is no phonemic difference between ε and αι (both are IPA /ε/), so the use of the diphthong doesn't signal any difference in pronunciation.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Greek Language and Linguistics”