πρωι εννυχον/εννυχα

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
Jean Putmans

πρωι εννυχον/εννυχα

Post by Jean Putmans »

In Mk 1:35 Mark uses an expression πρωι εννυχον (RP2005)/εννυχα (NA238).
πρωι = early (in the Morning, season, year etc.)
εννυχ(ι)οσ (Adj. with 2/3 Endings) = at night, by night

I would have translated this as : early in the night (= in the first hours of the night), but the gothic translation, as well as the Vulgate of Jerome have "early in the morning" (diluculo: Abl.temp. of diluculum): daybreak). At least Jerome knew better Greek than I do, so I suppose he is right.

Where is the mistake I make?

Regards

Jean
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
Shirley Rollinson

Re: πρωι εννυχον/εννυχα

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Jean Putmans wrote: July 10th, 2021, 7:07 am In Mk 1:35 Mark uses an expression πρωι εννυχον (RP2005)/εννυχα (NA238).

I would have translated this as : early in the night (= in the first hours of the night), but the gothic translation, as well as the Vulgate of Jerome have "early in the morning" (diluculo: Abl.temp. of diluculum): daybreak). At least Jerome knew better Greek than I do, so I suppose he is right.

Regards

Jean
One can take them as being parallel, rather than linear :
They went early.
They went in the night.
(ie they went before sunrise)
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jean Putmans wrote: July 10th, 2021, 7:07 am In Mk 1:35 Mark uses an expression πρωι εννυχον (RP2005)/εννυχα (NA238).

Regards

Jean
It simply means "while still dark."
ἔννυχος, ον pert. to the period between sunset and sunrise, at night (s. νύξ; Il. 11, 716; Pind., Trag., then Aesop, Fab. 55 v.l. P. [=110 H.; H-H. 55a; Ch. 89a]; IG VII, 584, 5; Sb 6699, 6 [early Ptolem.]; 3 Macc 5:5; SibOr 3, 293) acc. neut. pl. as adv. (cp. Soph., Ajax 930 πάννυχα) ἔννυχα (v.l. ἔννυχον) at night-time πρωὶ̈ ἔ. λίαν in the early morning, when it was still quite dark Mk 1:35.
Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., Bauer, W., & Gingrich, F. W. (2000). A Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., p. 338). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jean Putmans

Post by Jean Putmans »

Thanks to both of You!

Jean
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com

Return to “Word Meanings”