αρτι / νυν = now (adv.) / present (adj.)

Semantic Range, Lexicography, and other approaches to word meaning - in general, or for particular words.
David Lim

αρτι / νυν = now (adv.) / present (adj.)

Post by David Lim »

Dear all,

It seems to me that "αρτι" and "νυν" are used quite interchangeably, meaning "now" as an adverb or "present" as an adjective. Is it true that they are very close synonyms and indistinguishable in the area in which their meanings overlap, or are there some subtle differences which I did not catch? I notice that LSJ says of "ἄρτι": "later, = νῦν".

Thanks!
David
δαυιδ λιμ
Stephen Carlson

Re: αρτι / νυν = now (adv.) / present (adj.)

Post by Stephen Carlson »

My resources (BDAG, Louw-Nida, etc.) don't seem to distinguish between these two words, but Edwin A. Abbott in Johannine Grammar § 1915(vi) claims the following:
Άρτι is distinguished from νῦν as "this moment" is distinguished from "this present time."
Personally, I don't find this statement too helpful but it's the best I've seen.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
David Lim

Re: αρτι / νυν = now (adv.) / present (adj.)

Post by David Lim »

sccarlson wrote:My resources (BDAG, Louw-Nida, etc.) don't seem to distinguish between these two words, but Edwin A. Abbott in Johannine Grammar § 1915(vi) claims the following:
Άρτι is distinguished from νῦν as "this moment" is distinguished from "this present time."
Personally, I don't find this statement too helpful but it's the best I've seen.
I see, thanks! Yes LSJ seems to imply that was true at first but later the usage was much confused.
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “Word Meanings”