Onomatopoeia - formal designation?

NathanSmith

Onomatopoeia - formal designation?

Post by NathanSmith »

I ran across ψιθυρίζω (whisper) in Sirach and instantly thouguht, "this must be an onomatopoeia." I then read the LSJ entry and it does not say one thing or another about this (unless I missed something). This is not particularly surprising since such a characterization of a word is tangential to the task of a lexicon.

But that leads me to wonder - are there formal etymologic criteria for determining onomatopeia, or is it just "you know it when you hear it"? Anyone know a good list of examples in Greek?

Do people agree that ψιθυρίζω sounds like an onomatopoeia?
David Lim

Re: Onomatopoeia - formal designation?

Post by David Lim »

NathanSmith wrote:I ran across ψιθυρίζω (whisper) in Sirach and instantly thouguht, "this must be an onomatopoeia." I then read the LSJ entry and it does not say one thing or another about this (unless I missed something). This is not particularly surprising since such a characterization of a word is tangential to the task of a lexicon.

But that leads me to wonder - are there formal etymologic criteria for determining onomatopeia, or is it just "you know it when you hear it"? Anyone know a good list of examples in Greek?

Do people agree that ψιθυρίζω sounds like an onomatopoeia?
Any such criteria will probably be highly subjective. In any case, Strabo mentioned a few (κελαρύζειν καὶ κλαγγὴ δὲ καὶ ψόφος καὶ βοὴ καὶ κρότος) (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... g=original). Middle-Liddel says that "ψιθυριζω" is from "ψιθυρος" which in turn is "Perh. formed from the sound." (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... s-contents).
δαυιδ λιμ
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

NathanSmith wrote:Anyone know a good list of examples in Greek?
In the prophets I've been encountering συρίζω "hiss, whistle" quite often.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

NathanSmith wrote:Do people agree that ψιθυρίζω sounds like an onomatopoeia?
Yes, but that's very subjective. In English, "tissue" and "bless you" both sound like someone sneezing, but I don't think that explains their derivation. I would not call these onomatopoeia.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I've always wondered if πτύω was onomatopoeic.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Other”