New Resource for Greek Students (Max and Moritz)

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Brent Niedergall

New Resource for Greek Students (Max and Moritz)

Post by Brent Niedergall »

GlossaHouse has just released a Koine translation of the illustrated Germans story, Max and Moritz.

It uses only words and idioms from the GNT and LXX. It's presented in a readers format with unfamiliar vocabulary glossed at the bottom.

You can check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/Moritz-Biblical- ... pldnSite=1

B-Greek readers are credited in the introduction for their help in the early stages of this work. Enjoy!

Brent Niedergall
Louis L Sorenson

Re: New Resource for Greek Students (Max and Moritz)

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

My mother had the German edition of this book. It was hardcover, with dust jacket, and in color. The drawings were superb. I would try to find that edition to use for illustrations. I may still have a copy. The story is about two boys who get kicks out of hurting people's animals or just people. They are just doing practical jokes (in their own minds).I am not sure, but I think some of their victims end up dead. In the end, they die a horrible death, receiving their just reward.

This book is part of German dark moralizing literature, where the author is trying to scare children into being good, and stay away from friends who act like Max and Morris. I was taught a rhyme called Hoppe, Hoppe Reiterlein. It goes something like this (I don't remember all the words, but it goes something like the following). I've taught this rhyme to all my six kids. You put your baby or toddler on your knee while holding their hands, start moving our knee up and down, and then tell the child the poem, . The poem I learned is very dark, some versions just have the rider fall off into different places. Here is the poem I learned:

Hoppe, hoppe, Reiterlein,
Wenn sie kleiner sein
Reiten sie auf stockelein,
Wenn sie grosser werden,
Reiten sie auf pferden.
Wenn sie grosser waxen,
Reiten sie nach Saxen.
sie fallt ab und
bricht ihm das Genick.

Hup, Hup, little rider
When he is smaller
He rides on a little stick.
When he becomes bigger,
He rides on horses.
When he becomes even bigger,
He rides to Saxen.
He falls off
and breaks his neck. (You make your child fall off your knee backwards).

I guess the moral is to be careful when riding horses.

Look for the color version. My advice. I am looking forward to reading your book.
Brent Niedergall

Re: New Resource for Greek Students (Max and Moritz)

Post by Brent Niedergall »

Thanks for sharing Louis. It's been really interesting to hear about different connections people have with Max & Moritz. Crazy enough, there's even a "Max and Moritz Restaurant" about an hour down the road from where I live in North Carolina.

You're right, the color illustrations are great. They can be viewed here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/17161/1 ... 7161-h.htm

It was a decision of cost to go with black and white for this publication. Thanks for commenting. Hope you enjoy the book!
Brent Niedergall

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”