Learning Biblical and ancient as a modern Greek speaker

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
Eusebios Basileides

Learning Biblical and ancient as a modern Greek speaker

Post by Eusebios Basileides »

Hello.
I'm Greek and I've been taking courses in Ancient Greek in Europe. As they are intended for non-Greeks it is a bit too easy and slow for me, I feel like I'm cheating. (already know 95% of basic vocab they assign us, understand instantaneously the phrases (the adapted ones for the class's current level) , reading out loud is natural (even if the pronunciation is different than the one I'm used to but it's easy to adapt) , certain concepts or morphological things are the same or nearly, generally just easier κτλ)
I've been thinking it would be much faster to learn using methods for native modern Greek speakers. Can anyone here recommend me something?
Jason Hare

Re: Learning Biblical and ancient as a modern Greek speaker

Post by Jason Hare »

Hi, Lysias. As a bit of housekeeping, I need to draw your attention to the fact that we don't allow monikers on B-Greek. We'll need to change your username to your real name (first and last) or add your real name in your signature to post regularly on the forum. You can see more in our User Names and Profiles policy. Contact one of the forum team to get this changed.

Have you heard of either Polis – The Jerusalem Institute of Languages and Humanities or The Biblical Language Center? Both teach biblical Greek in a spoken way, though you'll have an advantage (of course). It might be useful for you to contact the centers and see if they have something that might connect readily with a native Greek speaker.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”