Finding sentences like ...

Jonathan Robie

Finding sentences like ...

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Micheal Palmer and I have been generating lists of clauses that use participles in the various ways discussed in Rijksbaron's book on the verb, and I've been playing with lists of sentences by difficulty. I thought I'd take a shot at generating some lists that might be useful at the very beginning levels of instruction.

Here's a list of sentences that use only the 37 most common words, words that occur 500 times or more in the Greek New Testament. I excluded any that used participles. In spite of the severe constraints, I found 14 such sentences, Some of them are not beginner sentences, but they might be useful as a source of sentences for an instructor to pick through and use in class or for exercises.
count-500-noparticiples.pdf
(16.27 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Here is a list that uses only the 163 most common words, words that occur 100 times or more in the Greek New Testament:
count-150-noparticiples.pdf
(35.45 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
This is a much longer list.

I can generate lists like this for any set of words, forms, etc. Any thoughts on how to best leverage this for instruction?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Teaching Methods”