Accenting in -σις, -εως nouns

James Spinti

Accenting in -σις, -εως nouns

Post by James Spinti »

I'm in the process of editing a second year Koine reader and while checking the vocabulary lists, it suddenly hit me that the accenting on -σις, -εως nouns appears anomalous. I checked Smyth, but came up empty, except for his comment in §840.a.2 about their formation as feminine abstracts. But I can't find any comment on the accent remaining on the antepenult in the genitive singular. And I can't seem to locate a paradigm, but that's probably just because I'm not looking in the correct spot.

Here's what I mean: φανέρωσις, εως, ἡ. I would have expected the accent to be -έως because of the omega. But, somewhere in the back of my head there is a memory of this as being considered short for accenting... I just can't pull it up. And rifling through the index of Smyth hasn't pulled anything. I don't have Carson's Greek Accents, so can't check there.

Is there a digamma lurking in the background somewhere? That seems to be in my mind as well.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
James
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
James Spinti

Re: Accenting in -σις, -εως nouns

Post by James Spinti »

Never mind. I found it in §271, it's accented as if the ending -εος hadn't lengthened, and there doesn't appear to be a digamma lurking behind it. I must be confusing it with something else.

Morale of the story, check Smyth 6 times before posting, not just 4–5!
Proofreading and copyediting of ancient Near Eastern and biblical studies monographs
James Spinti

Re: Accenting in -σις, -εως nouns

Post by James Spinti »

And a postscript: brain fart about πόλις. I was thinking strictly of nouns ending in -σις and so had blocked out the obvious paradigm!

Return to “Other”