The Perfect Storm - October release?

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

The Perfect Storm - October release?

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

I know this isn’t one that many are going to get excited about, due to the discussion moving on from that at the conference that spawned this book. That said, Amazon have just listed an October release date for the volume looking at Fanning, Campbell, and Porter’s views on the perfect tense

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Storm- ... 740&sr=8-2
Jonathan Robie

Re: The Perfect Storm - October release?

Post by Jonathan Robie »

From the Amazon blurb:
Nowhere are the chaotic debates surrounding contemporary aspect theory more heated than in discussions of the theory's application to Hellenistic Greek, and especially its understanding of the semantics of the Greek perfect tense.
I haven't been hearing heated and chaotic debates about the perfect lately. Am I just missing out? What are the current debates about the perfect outside the Porter / Campbell schools?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
MAubrey

Re: The Perfect Storm - October release?

Post by MAubrey »

Jonathan Robie wrote: July 24th, 2020, 12:54 pm From the Amazon blurb:
Nowhere are the chaotic debates surrounding contemporary aspect theory more heated than in discussions of the theory's application to Hellenistic Greek, and especially its understanding of the semantics of the Greek perfect tense.
I haven't been hearing heated and chaotic debates about the perfect lately. Am I just missing out? What are the current debates about the perfect outside the Porter / Campbell schools?
There aren't really any.

But the contents of this book are from a 2013(?) SBL session. Unless they've done a substantial amount of leg work before going to press, they're all out of date.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Books”