Peter Rabbit in Koine Greek

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Peter Rabbit in Koine Greek

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Well this is too good to not post about!
Peter Rabbit in Koine Greek coming Nov 30th
https://www.gorgiaspress.com/the-tale-o ... oine-greek
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Peter Rabbit in Koine Greek

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I was hoping that the website would have some details, but alas! It will be interesting to see how they go about it. I personally would have mined Aesop's Fables for vocabulary and expressions.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Matthew Longhorn

I remember reading Peter rabbit as a child, which is why I got excited. But yes, their page is somewhat deficient in information
Brent Niedergall

Post by Brent Niedergall »

Thanks for sharing this! Joey and I (the translators) are excited to finally see it in print. It was a bit of an ordeal to find a publisher willing to pay royalties to Penguin Random House for the use of Peter Rabbit. As far as additional information goes, you might be encouraged to know John A. L. Lee was kind enough to proofread a draft for us. He was a huge help. We’re pleased with the text and looking forward to seeing the final product. =)
Brent Niedergall
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Brent Niedergall wrote: September 4th, 2020, 12:04 am Thanks for sharing this! Joey and I (the translators) are excited to finally see it in print. It was a bit of an ordeal to find a publisher willing to pay royalties to Penguin Random House for the use of Peter Rabbit. As far as additional information goes, you might be encouraged to know John A. L. Lee was kind enough to proofread a draft for us. He was a huge help. We’re pleased with the text and looking forward to seeing the final product. =)
Excellent. Could you comment briefly on the methodology used?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Brent Niedergall

Sure! We went for a formal equivalency to the degree our vocabulary constraints allowed (GNT and LXX vocab only). Glosses are provided as reader helps for all words occurring fewer than fifty times in the NT. And we made a concerted effort to use actual idiom and constructions found in our corpus and Koine use. (John Lee was invaluable here.) Here is an example (sans glosses). We versified the text for the sake of practicality.

Ὁ Μῦθος Πέτρου τοῦ Δασύποδος

(1) Ἦσάν ποτε τέσσαρες δασύποδες μικροί. καὶ τὰ ὀνόματα αὐτῶν ἦν—
Φλόψι
καὶ Μόψι
καὶ Ἐρίουρος
καὶ Πέτρος.

(2) Καὶ κατῴκησαν ἐν χώματι ἄμμου σὺν τῇ μητρὶ αὐτῶν ὑπὸ ῥίζαν ἐλάτης μεγάλης σφόδρα.
Brent Niedergall
Matthew Longhorn

Looks good. Do you have any more lined up like this? I reckon it is a great way to get people reading

My brother and his wife are expecting a baby in October, tempted to get it as a present for them to read to their child. Admittedly, they don’t know Greek, but it can’t help to encourage it :D
jjmccollum

Post by jjmccollum »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: September 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am I was hoping that the website would have some details, but alas! It will be interesting to see how they go about it. I personally would have mined Aesop's Fables for vocabulary and expressions.
It looks like James Tauber and Christoph Jasinski have started working on an annotated text of Aesop's Fables (https://github.com/jtauber/aesop), although I'm not sure how far along this is or when it's expected to be ready.
Brent Niedergall

Matthew Longhorn wrote: September 4th, 2020, 1:01 pm Looks good. Do you have any more lined up like this? I reckon it is a great way to get people reading

My brother and his wife are expecting a baby in October, tempted to get it as a present for them to read to their child. Admittedly, they don’t know Greek, but it can’t help to encourage it :D
Nothing like this coming down the pike as of now. Joey and I published another translated tale through GlossaHouse: https://www.glossahouse.com/product-pag ... ical-greek It was our first attempt and I think the Greek quality of Peter Rabbit is much improved. I've heard of others who are translating stories into Greek for the same publisher!
Brent Niedergall
Matthew Longhorn

Brent Niedergall wrote: September 4th, 2020, 3:13 pm Joey and I published another translated tale through GlossaHouse: https://www.glossahouse.com/product-pag ... ical-greek It was our first attempt and I think the Greek quality of Peter Rabbit is much improved.
I actually bought that! I didn’t make it all the way through as I got distracted by something or another, but enjoyed what I did read. It is just a great way to engage people, and mirrors in a way how we learned to enjoy reading as children.

Return to “Books”