Septuagint Commentary Series - Isaiah (21-Oct-2020)

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Septuagint Commentary Series - Isaiah (21-Oct-2020)

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

A new volume in the Septuagint commentary series from Brill is coming out. I have their Genesis commentary and they do a great job discussing the Hebrew background behind some of the translations. They also deal nicely with the Greek grammar on its own terms.

It is Brill who publish these though, so prepare to wince at the £170 price tag
This work consists of an introduction, transcription, translation, and commentary to the Greek translation of Isaiah in the Codex Sinaiticus. It comments on the Greek language in its context, especially on how the Greek language is stretched beyond its normal range of function. It addresses the peculiarities of Codex Sinaiticus, including its history, scribes, divisions, and orthography. In line with the aims of the Brill Septuagint Commentary Series, it mainly discusses not how the text was produced, but how it was read.
https://brill.com/view/title/8646?rskey ... &result=64
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Septuagint Commentary Series - Isaiah (21-Oct-2020)

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: October 1st, 2020, 7:40 am A new volume in the Septuagint commentary series from Brill is coming out. I have their Genesis commentary and they do a great job discussing the Hebrew background behind some of the translations. They also deal nicely with the Greek grammar on its own terms.

It is Brill who publish these though, so prepare to wince at the £170 price tag
This work consists of an introduction, transcription, translation, and commentary to the Greek translation of Isaiah in the Codex Sinaiticus. It comments on the Greek language in its context, especially on how the Greek language is stretched beyond its normal range of function. It addresses the peculiarities of Codex Sinaiticus, including its history, scribes, divisions, and orthography. In line with the aims of the Brill Septuagint Commentary Series, it mainly discusses not how the text was produced, but how it was read.
https://brill.com/view/title/8646?rskey ... &result=64
Nice price tag, though. You have to either be a dedicated LXX scholar or have access to an institution to get it for you... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Matthew Longhorn

Or no immediate family to take care of and a relaxed attitude to food and clothing!
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

It's priced for libraries.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

I am still tempted, will need a couple of months to save up for it but it is good to have something that helps me with my reading if I get completely stuck.
As I mentioned in the OP, I have their Genesis commentary and found it a great help

There is the much cheaper Baylor handbook coming soon on Macabbees I believe, but they will have a while to get through things
Ken M. Penner

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: October 1st, 2020, 7:40 am A new volume in the Septuagint commentary series from Brill is coming out. I have their Genesis commentary and they do a great job discussing the Hebrew background behind some of the translations. They also deal nicely with the Greek grammar on its own terms.
Thanks for the plug, Matthew.
The Genesis volume is not representative of the series and its mandate. Our purpose is not to discuss the Hebrew or the translator but rather how it would be understood by a Greek reader.
My text, translation, and much of my commentary has been posted on this board with permission from Brill. See viewforum.php?f=51
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Matthew Longhorn

Ken M. Penner wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 8:45 am My text, translation, and much of my commentary has been posted on this board with permission from Brill. See viewforum.php?f=51
You just saved me a big spend, thanks! Makes up for the dent you (and others) made in my bank balance with the recent Septuagint lexicon - I take partial blame for that decision.
I will give your material a read through here. Thanks for sharing it

Return to “Books”