Biblical and Ancient Greek Linguistics - Volume 9

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Biblical and Ancient Greek Linguistics - Volume 9

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

A couple of articles for volume 9 of BAGL have just been published. Normally there are about 5 or more, so I am not sure if more are coming. They also generally get released in a print version some time after getting on their website

http://bagl.org/volume9

Stanley Porter - Where Have All the Greek Grammarians Gone? And Why Should Anyone Care?
Academic and intellectual communities are known for various areas of subject expertise. When one thinks of Greek grammar, including that of the New Testament, one thinks of Germany, and possibly Great Britain, but rarely Canada. An examination of recent trends regarding the study of ancient languages, especially Greek, in various institutions within Canada serves in this paper as an analogy for the study of other, related subjects, indicating some possible reasons why our field of biblical studies is increasingly an embattled subject and what we can do to address some of the issues involved.
Paul Danove - The Licensing Properties of Cognate Nouns of Communication Verbs in the New Testament
This article investigates the licensing properties of the cognate nouns of verbs that grammaticalize communication in the New Testament. The preliminary discussion reviews the semantic, syntactic, and lexical requirements of the fifty verbs of communication that have cognate nouns in the New Testament and develops general characteristics of the verbs’ sixty-four cognate nouns. The investigation of the cognate nouns describes their licensing properties, resolves their occurrences into six distinct usages, specifies all observed lexical realizations of required complements, and identifies the conditions for polysemy.
Devenios Doulenios

Re: Biblical and Ancient Greek Linguistics - Volume 9

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Ευχαριστω σε, ω φιλε Ματθαιε! I wasn't familiar with this journal. For a second, before I followed the link, I thought maybe it was an update to BAGD. (Just as well, I can't afford to upgrade yet to the current one. :( ) Am looking forward to using it. I subscribed just now. Thanks again.
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Matthew Longhorn

Re: Biblical and Ancient Greek Linguistics - Volume 9

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Two new articles have been posted

Kyriakoula Papademetriou - On the Use of the Conjunction Ἵνα in Hellenistic Koine and in the Language of the New Testament: A Possible Latin Influence
The use of ἵνα in Hellenistic Koine and in the New Testament texts has been sufficiently investigated and its linguistic development from Classical Greek to Modern Greek has been outlined. This paper intends to contribute to this discussion, drawing attention to the syntax of the substantive clauses in Latin introduced with the conjunction ut, and suggesting a similar syntax of ἵνα employed as a novel volitional expression in Hellenistic Koine. Concretely, while the prevailing view is that there is an independent parallel development, the present paper aims to reinforce the view that there is a Latin influence in this particular case. The sociolinguistic factors of bilingualism and language interference are highlighted, and for the first time, as far as we know, the Latin translation practice practiced widely in the Roman Empire is suggested as an argument to support this view.
Brett Miller - The Associative Semantics of συμμαρτυρέω: A Diachronic Study
Though several scholars have argued that συμμαρτυρέω was readily used without the associative sense ‘testify with or jointly’ prominent in standard lexica, a fresh examination of a wide range of texts discloses an even stronger than expected correlation between the use of συμμαρτυρέω and the occurrence of concordant affirmations in its context. This supports the argument that the verb’s meaning is normally associative after all. Aspects of its extra-biblical use also help to resolve theological objections that have been lodged against it being ascribed an associative sense in the New Testament.

Return to “Books”