Porter et al - James Barr Assessed

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Porter et al - James Barr Assessed

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

No table of contents yet, but dealing with the septuagint, lexicography and linguistics. Many of us will have read Barr’s work, so could be of interest to people. I will update when I find a table of contents

James Barr is a widely recognized name in biblical studies, even if he is still best known for his The Semantics of Biblical Language. Barr’s Semantics, although first published in 1961, still generates animated discussion of its claims. However, over his lengthy career Barr published significant scholarship on a wide variety of topics within Old Testament studies and beyond. This volume provides an assessment of Barr’s contribution to biblical studies sixty years after the publication of his first and still memorable volume on biblical semantics. As a result, this volume includes essays on major topics such as the Hebrew language, lexical semantics, lexicography, the Septuagint, and biblical theology.
https://brill.com/view/title/60248?rsk ... I&result=1
Stephen Carlson

Re: Porter et al - James Barr Assessed

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Thanks for that. There's no table of contents yet, but this is the contributor list:
Contributores: Sean A. Adams, John Barton, Benjamin J. Baxter, Gene L. Green, Robert D. Holmstedt, Alan E. Kurschner, David Arthur Lambert, Stanley E. Porter, John F. A. Sawyer, Darlene Seal, Randall K. J. Tan, Andi Wu, Ryder A. Wishart, David I. Yoon
As far as I can tell, all the NT scholars in this list, except for Gene Green, are associated with McMaster Divinity.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Stephen Carlson wrote: May 18th, 2021, 4:31 am Thanks for that. There's no table of contents yet, but this is the contributor list:
Contributores: Sean A. Adams, John Barton, Benjamin J. Baxter, Gene L. Green, Robert D. Holmstedt, Alan E. Kurschner, David Arthur Lambert, Stanley E. Porter, John F. A. Sawyer, Darlene Seal, Randall K. J. Tan, Andi Wu, Ryder A. Wishart, David I. Yoon
As far as I can tell, all the NT scholars in this list are associated with McMaster Divinity.
So a possible mild SFL slant on things?
Stephen Carlson

Matthew Longhorn wrote: May 18th, 2021, 4:35 am So a possible mild SFL slant on things?
Yes, I'd assume an SFL slant (except for Gene Green, just corrected above).
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Table of contents just posted on Brill

James Barr’s Life and Legacy: An Introduction
  Stanley E. Porter

part 1: Hebrew Language and Old Testament

Linguistics, Philology, and the Text of the Old Testament
  Robert D. Holmstedt

Comparative Philology and the Hebrew Language: Aspects of James Barr’s Critique
  John F. A. Sawyer

part 2: Lexical Semantics and Biblical Philology

James Barr’s Biblical Words for Time Revisited
  John Barton

James Barr on the ‘Illegitimate Totality Transfer’: Word-Concept Fallacy
  Alan E. Kurschner

James Barr and the State of the Biblical Lexicon
  David Arthur Lambert

Post-Semantics Commentary Writing: Romans 3:21–26 as an Example Text
  Benjamin J. Baxter

The Semantics of Biblical Language: Reflections from Relevance Theory and Lexical Pragmatics
  Gene L. Green

part 3: Lexicography

James Barr, Semantic Domains, and the Mental Lexicon
  Sean A. Adams

Building on the Shoulders of Giants: A Data-Driven Approach to Word Sense Differentiation
  Randall K. J. Tan and Andi Wu

part 4: Septuagint

The Semantics of Septuagint Language: Greek Comprehensibility and Its Hebrew Referent
  Ryder Wishart

The Septuagint as Translation: The Intersection of Barr’s Semantics and Septuagint Studies
  Darlene M. Seal

part 5: Biblical Theology

Was James Barr Wrong? Assessing His Critics on Biblical Theology
  Stanley E. Porter

James Barr and Erroneous Method in Biblical Theology: Paul and the Gift as a Test Case
  David I. Yoon
Stephen Carlson

Thanks for that. I’m not too enamoured with the Barr retrospective, given how old he is and how much change there’s been, but the pieces by Green, Tan & Wu, and Wishart seem interesting.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

This has now been published (on e-book). I have a copy of the paper version ordered so might post some interesting quotes from it when I get it so folks have a feel for what sort of position is being taken on things
https://brill.com/view/title/60248?rske ... &result=81

You can read the preface at https://brill.com/view/book/9789004465664/front-7.xml
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: August 19th, 2021, 4:48 am This has now been published (on e-book). I have a copy of the paper version ordered so might post some interesting quotes from it when I get it so folks have a feel for what sort of position is being taken on things
https://brill.com/view/title/60248?rske ... &result=81

You can read the preface at https://brill.com/view/book/9789004465664/front-7.xml
I'm reading Barr right now, so I'll be interested in how you find this. There look to be some interesting articles in it

Thx
D
Stephen Carlson

I saw a post by a contributor to this volume that he drafted his contribution to it 14 years ago, and it took that long to publish. Do the contributions to it look out of date (not that there’s been much work on Barr since then)?
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

That is worrying that things are that old!
My copy still hasn’t arrived. Sent them a chaser email yesterday. Will try to have something sensible to post when it does get here

Return to “Books”