Liu - Register Variation in the New Testament Petrine Texts

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Liu - Register Variation in the New Testament Petrine Texts

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

It will be interesting to see how much this actually deals with the grammar and lexical info, but hopefully it delivers on that side as well as sociolinguistics
Coming March 2022

https://brill.com/view/title/61610?rske ... V&result=3
This book examines the nature of the early church from a Petrine perspective, employing an analysis of register to implement a more synthetic study of relevant texts in the New Testament. Liu utilises a type of discourse analysis that provides a framework for classifying grammatical and lexical information so that the reader can better understand the social function of not only Peter’s speeches in Acts, but also the two epistles attributed to him. Liu’s original and detailed study looks at the content and structure of the texts to enhance our understanding of the early church, with particular attention paid to the dichotomy between Petrine and Pauline Christianity and their competing pictures of Christian origins. This book will interest all scholars and students who wish to extend their understanding of both the historical and literary Peter.
Stephen Carlson

Re: Liu - Register Variation in the New Testament Petrine Texts

Post by Stephen Carlson »

it’s a McMaster Divinity College (where Stan Porter is) dissertation so I’m not surprised the blurb emphasizes the theological payoff. One would have to dive in to see where he’s getting his information about register in order to apply to the 1 Peter. My impression is that information about the register of particular words, phrases, and syntactic constructions hasn’t been systematically collected and I would be surprised to see the labor-equivalent of a new lexicon be done for a dissertation that is not about precisely that topic. But the basic idea is right: register is important.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Books”