Brill summer sale - 50 % off + postclassical greek prepositions

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Brill summer sale - 50 % off + postclassical greek prepositions

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Hi all, I have begged off posting any more book finds, but the Brill summer sale just came up and I thought it worth sharing for those of you who have been priced out of something you really wants.

https://www2.brill.com/Sale_2022

While I am here - one last book post for the road
The book Postclassical Greek Prepositions and Conceptual Metaphor has just been released on Degruyter. I got myself an electronic copy - many thanks to Steven Runge et al
https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/ ... 77895/html
Traditional semantic description of Ancient Greek prepositions has struggled to synthesize the varied and seemingly arbitrary uses into something other than a disparate, sometimes overlapping list of senses. The Cognitive Linguistic approach of prototype theory holds that the meanings of a preposition are better explained as a semantic network of related senses that radially extend from a primary, spatial sense. These radial extensions arise from contextual factors that affect the metaphorical representation of the spatial scene that is profiled. Building upon the Cognitive Linguistic descriptions of Bortone (2009) and Luraghi (2009), linguists, biblical scholars, and Greek lexicographers apply these developments to offer more in-depth descriptions of select postclassical Greek prepositions and consider the exegetical and lexicographical implications of these findings. This volume will be of interest to those studying or researching the Greek of the New Testament seeking more linguistically-informed description of prepositional semantics, particularly with a focus on the exegetical implications of choice among seemingly similar prepositions in Greek and the challenges of potentially mismatched translation into English.

Uses latest Cognitive Linguistic theory for lexical semantic analysis

Builds upon well-accepted but still underdeveloped language scholarship in Classical Greek Gives attention to practical implications for textual interpretation of the Bible

Return to “Books”