Benjamin Kantor on the pronunciation of NT Greek

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
James Ernest

Benjamin Kantor on the pronunciation of NT Greek

Post by James Ernest »

I would like to make b-greek members aware of two new books on the pronunciation of Greek in the NT era.

The first is a magnum opus: The Pronunciation of New Testament Greek: Judeo-Palestinian Greek Phonology and Orthography from Alexander to Islam, by Benjamin Kantor. This is an 895-page hardcover with a list price of $99.99. The ISBN is 978-0-8028-7831-1. Its publication date is July 13, but I think backorders have already been released. If not, they will be soon. This is a magnificent book in several ways. Information (includig downloadable table of contents and sample chapter) is available on the publisher's website: https://www.eerdmans.com/Products/7831/ ... greek.aspx. Please take a look; and please consider purchasing this volume for yourself if you can, and recommending it to your institutional librarian as an essential work (which it will be for any library supporting the study of classical or biblical Greek language).

The second is a distillation of Kantor's findings in the magnum opus into an inexpensive paperback for students: A Short Guide to the Pronunciation of New Testament Greek. This little primer is 148 pages and has a list price of $14.99. ISBN is 978-0-8028-7832-8. Again, the publication date is July 13, and again, it will be shipping from the warehouse sooner than that. Please look at the publisher's webpage for this book, https://www.eerdmans.com/Products/7832/ ... greek.aspx, and pay special attention to the endorsements by William Mounce and Con Campbell. If you teach Greek, please consider adding this little guide as a required supplemental textbook for your classes.

To request an exam copy of A Short Guide, see the form here: https://eerdmans.wufoo.com/forms/reques ... -desk-copy.

Disclosure: You will see from my sig lines that I work for the publisher of these two books. I'm also a longtime member and fan of the b-greek community. Thank you for your indulgence. The big book really is a monumental accomplishment, primarily on the part of Benjamin Kantor, but also on the part of my colleagues in editorial, design, and production. And the little book is a one that I so much wish had been available when I was learning classical and biblical Greek as an undergraduate, and especially when I was teaching biblical Greek as a graduate student.

James
-------------------------------------------
James D. Ernest, PhD
VP, Editor-in-Chief
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Grand Rapids, MI

MAubrey

Re: Benjamin Kantor on the pronunciation of NT Greek

Post by MAubrey »

Thanks, James.

I think we've all been quite excited about it for a while now!
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
James Ernest

Re: Benjamin Kantor on the pronunciation of NT Greek

Post by James Ernest »

Oops! Yes. I see now that I missed some posts in Feb and May!
Thanks.
James
James D. Ernest, PhD
VP, Editor-in-Chief
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Grand Rapids, MI

Return to “Books”