Differences between Louw-Nida 1988/1st ed. and 1989/2nd.?

kamal.abm

Differences between Louw-Nida 1988/1st ed. and 1989/2nd.?

Post by kamal.abm »

I have a question regarding the Louw-Nida lexicon regarding differences between the first edition (1988) or second edition (1989)... in particular, if there are any cases where a preposition is removed from under a certain number.

This is an issue that I am facing in my research. A source I am using (Exegetical summaries) presents LN 89.80 as a possible sense for "dia" among two other LN numbers that include both dia and en (LN 13.8 and LN 89.76). The preposition appears in 1 Timothy 2:15.

Any help you can offer regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
Kamal Abou Mikhael

greekarabicnt.org
https://twitter.com/kamaLdotAm
Jonathan Robie

Re: Differences between Louw-Nida 1988/1st ed. and 1989/2nd.

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I have 1989 / 2nd, and here's what I see.
IMG_20161221_130744629.jpg
IMG_20161221_130744629.jpg (480.18 KiB) Viewed 11631 times
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I have both the third impression 1989 of the first edition 1988, hard copy and the second edition 1989 of the electronic editon. The third impression specifically states "first edition" the electronic version specifically states "second edition."

I appears that your source is in error. I find nothing either in the index or in the lexicon which links διὰ to domains LN 13.8 or LN 89.80. My hard copy reads just like the electronic at 89.76 posted below.
89.76 εἰςh; ἐνp; διάc: markers of the means by which one event makes another event possible — ‘by means of, through, by.’12
εἰςh: οἵτινες ἐλάβετε τὸν νόμον εἰς διαταγὰς ἀγγέλων ‘you who received the Law through arrangements made by angels’ or ‘you who received the Law handed down by angels’ Ac 7:53.
ἐνp: ὡς ἐγνώσθη αὐτοῖς ἐν τῇ κλάσει τοῦ ἄρτου ‘how he became known to them by the breaking of bread’ Lk 24:35.
διάc: ἣν περιεποιήσατο διὰ τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ ἰδίου ‘which he made his own through his own blood’ Ac 20:28. The term ‘blood’ in Ac 20:28 is a figurative expression designating the event of sacrificial death (see 23.107). καὶ ἀποκαταλλάξῃ τοὺς ἀμφοτέρους ἐν ἑνὶ σώματι τῷ θεῷ διὰ τοῦ σταυροῦ ‘and he reconciled both in one body to God through the cross’ Eph 2:16. In Eph 2:16 ‘cross’ refers to the sacrificial death of Christ. ἡγιασμένοι ἐσμὲν διὰ τῆς προσφορᾶς τοῦ σώματος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ ἐφάπαξ ‘we have been made holy through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all’ He 10:10.
POSTSCRIPT

It is possible that your source is making reference to LN 13.8 or LN 89.80 as possible domains for διὰ as an independent judgment, in other words using LN domains to make an observation independent of lexicon.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Tony Pope

Post by Tony Pope »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:
POSTSCRIPT

It is possible that your source is making reference to LN 13.8 or LN 89.80 as possible domains for διὰ as an independent judgment, in other words using LN domains to make an observation independent of lexicon.
This seems to be correct. Unfortunately Exegetical Summaries is not entirely intuitive from the user's point of view. The preface should be consulted (paragraph headed The Lexicon):
Words marked with a raised letter in the semi-literal translation are treated separately under the heading LEXICON. First, the lexicon form of the Greek word is given. Within the parentheses following the Greek word is the location number where, in the author’s judgment, this word is defined in the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains (Louw and Nida 1988). When a semantic domain includes a translation of the particular verse being treated, LN in bold type indicates that specific translation.
It seems that the editor of Exegetical Summaries looked at the various options he found in commentaries and elsewhere for the sense of διά and tried to find LN semantic domains that would fit. Not finding all the domains he wanted among those that LN had proposed for διά, he used other domains where LN doesn't list διά but gives a semantic description that seemed to fit.
To know from Exegetical Summaries what Louw and Nida themselves thought διά means in 1 Tim 2.15 you would need to find LN in boldface, which doesn't occur. It happens that the next lexical entry τεκνογονία in Exegetical Summaries gives LN 23.52, where the translation "she will be saved through having children" is to be found. However, that unfortunately doesn't provide a reliable guide as to what sense of "through" Louw and Nida intended.
kamal.abm

Post by kamal.abm »

Very grateful to all of you for your kind, fast, and helpful responses.

I am working on the metaphorical use of prepositions in the Pauline corpus for my Master's thesis and I have compiled what BDAG, LN, and LSJ have said about the meaning of particular instances of prepositions. I also extracted the LN and BAGD definitions determined in Exegetical Summaries. I am using my own analysis and the findings of the aforementioned sources and comparing it to the tagging of SBLGNT interlinear and reverse interlinear.

For the sake of completeness and edification, I am listing the instances where the preposition is not in the domain according to the LN definitions.In all three cases only εν is included in the domain:
δια - 13.8
δια - 89.80
επι - 90.6

Blessings,
Kamal Abou Mikhael

http://greekarabicnt.org
http://twitter.com/kamaLdotAm
http://soundcloud.com/kamal-dot-am

Return to “Lexicons”