English/Greek Lexicon

theomann

English/Greek Lexicon

Post by theomann »

Hi...
It's been a long, long time since I participated in this forum, and I'm surprised that I haven't been dropped from the list ages ago. I hope you don't mind if I ask a question you may have previously answered in one or another of the discussion topics.
Is anyone aware of an English to Greek NT lexicon? I have friends who constantly use Strong's Concordance, and I would rather they have access to a source that is more detailed, and isn't specifically tied into a given translation.
Many thanks.

Ted Mann
theomann@att.net
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: English/Greek Lexicon

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

For Attic there is S.C. Woodhouse which is old and expensive. Louw & Nida has an English Gloss index which is searchable in some bible software. I suspect BDAG is also searchable by gloss. LSJ is searchable by English content and perhaps in some cases by gloss.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

STEP Bible is a public (no cost) tool for biblical studies. It is very useful for people who don't know the languages but want to look up words. Lots of features so it will take a few days to explore.

https://www.stepbible.org
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: May 11th, 2019, 1:44 pm For Attic there is S.C. Woodhouse which is old and expensive.
Thankfully, Woodhouse’s dictionary is online! You can simply enter an English term and it will show you the page on which it appears in his dictionary.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

theomann wrote: May 10th, 2019, 10:46 pm Hi...
It's been a long, long time since I participated in this forum, and I'm surprised that I haven't been dropped from the list ages ago. I hope you don't mind if I ask a question you may have previously answered in one or another of the discussion topics.
Is anyone aware of an English to Greek NT lexicon? I have friends who constantly use Strong's Concordance, and I would rather they have access to a source that is more detailed, and isn't specifically tied into a given translation.
Many thanks.

Ted Mann
theomann@att.net
Hi, Ted!

Welcome back to B-Greek! You could use blueletterbible.org. Just put in an English term and see what passages has that word and what Greek word it translates.

Using BlueLetterBible for English-to-Greek Vocab.
Using BlueLetterBible for English-to-Greek Vocab.
01.png (805.37 KiB) Viewed 11582 times
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

theomann wrote: May 10th, 2019, 10:46 pm Hi...
Many thanks.

Ted Mann
theomann@att.net
By the way, it would be awesome if you could put your name and email (just as you’ve signed this post) in the signature line of your profile. You can do that here.

It’s always a joy when someone finds their way back to B-Greek after some time. Let the forum team know if you have any questions regarding the forum and how we can serve your needs.

Thanks!

(This post is on behalf of the forum moderators regarding our policy on usernames, which can be reviewed here.)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
David Fish

Post by David Fish »

I followed this particular link with interest since it started a few days ago. I was thinking that the resource I will share had been mentioned in this forum before. Perhaps it was in a different place.

At any rate, Benjamin Kantor has a site with MANY excellent resources, including videos. His site is http://www.koinegreek.com. On that site, there is a very helpful English to Greek lexicon. One inputs an English gloss, which initiates a search of the database, with ancient greek terms that could be used to express that idea.

The URL for the English-Greek lexicon is: https://www.koinegreek.com/koine-greek-dictionary.

My apologies is someone else posted this and I just missed seeing it.
David Fish
Ozark Christian College
Joplin, MO
dfish@occ.edu
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

David Fish wrote: May 15th, 2019, 9:16 am I followed this particular link with interest since it started a few days ago. I was thinking that the resource I will share had been mentioned in this forum before. Perhaps it was in a different place.

At any rate, Benjamin Kantor has a site with MANY excellent resources, including videos. His site is http://www.koinegreek.com. On that site, there is a very helpful English to Greek lexicon. One inputs an English gloss, which initiates a search of the database, with ancient greek terms that could be used to express that idea.

The URL for the English-Greek lexicon is: https://www.koinegreek.com/koine-greek-dictionary.

My apologies is someone else posted this and I just missed seeing it.
I don't think that I had seen that link before, so I'm glad you posted it. I've now signed up to their site and want to start using their forum right away. Thanks for sharing it!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Lexicons”