Polis Koine, 2nd edition

Louis L Sorenson

Polis Koine, 2nd edition

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

Christophe Rico, has just come out with an English version of Polis. The first edition was titled Polis Koine and was available in several European languages. The second edition is titled Polis - Speaking ancient Greek as a living language and is published by Polis Institute Press. (Rico apparently runs Polis Jerusalem http://www.polisjerusalem.org/ ). The second version has increased from 12 chapters to 20, and also contains a teacher's manual (96 pages). The 1st volume, student's volume has 348 pages. The book is on amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Polis-Speaking-An ... polis+rico

Rico uses modern L2 methodologies, as does Randall Buth, to teach Koine (a dead language to some). Some of the L2 (2nd Language) methodologies are TPR (Total Physical Response), TPRS (Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling) and other modern ESL/TESL techniques, methods, ktl., (ESL=English as a 2nd language/ TESL=Teaching English as a 2nd language). These methods and techniques are present in modern day L2 pedagogies such as the Natural Method, Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone, and others. It has been 100+ years since Rouse began teaching Attic/Koine using these methods in the beginning of the 20th century. A revival of Rouse's and his contemporaries has been in the works from 1995 to the present.
Louis L Sorenson

Re: Polis Koine, 2nd edition

Post by Louis L Sorenson »

I just received volumes 1 and 2, and will give a review of both volumes in a week or two after I have some time to analyze the volumes. At first glance, I do have some concern that the books were perhaps rushed to publication, but the next school year is coming in 2 months and decisions on curriculum have to be made now. So what to do?

Rico uses a French accented Koine Erasmian pronunciation, which sounds really odd to most American students. I do not know how his audio sounds/appeals to non English students. But for the most part, Rico is one of only 2-5 teachers who has been a pioneer in developing a aural/oral curriculum for Koine students. We can always criticize books, teachers, methodologies, but creating content is a lot harder than criticizing the content. So I strongly believe that teachers of NT Greek should always give Koine pioneer teachers the benefit of the doubt.
Jeremy Adams

Post by Jeremy Adams »

I am interested to hear more about this. I am curious how useful it will be to those who have worked at internalizing Greek while using a Koine Era pronunciation. I have used both pronunciations so I wonder if it would be easy or useful to switch back and forth. I have heard a lot of positive things about the first edition either way though, so I am excited to see how this new edition looks.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jeremy Adams wrote:I am interested to hear more about this. I am curious how useful it will be to those who have worked at internalizing Greek while using a Koine Era pronunciation. I have used both pronunciations so I wonder if it would be easy or useful to switch back and forth. I have heard a lot of positive things about the first edition either way though, so I am excited to see how this new edition looks.
Mine arrived today. It looks quite good, Level One is fairly basic, but provides a lot of materials for the things it teaches.

I like his pronunciation (I also like Randall's pronunciation, either is fine for me, I like modern too).
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Mark Murphree

Post by Mark Murphree »

Louis L Sorenson wrote:I just received volumes 1 and 2, and will give a review of both volumes in a week or two after I have some time to analyze the volumes.
So . . . it's been a month. How is it? Thoughts so far? How useful for a self-learner? For a college class? Is there enough material for the first year, or maybe just one semester?

Thanks,

Mark
Dr. Mark Murphree
Assistant Professor of English and Theology, Toccoa Falls College
Ph.D., Biblical Interpretation and Theology, Evangel University
M.A., English Literature, University of Georgia

Return to “Grammars”