Going Deeper with New Testament Greek, Köstenberger, et al.

Stephen Hughes

Going Deeper with New Testament Greek, Köstenberger, et al.

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
AlexCostea

Re: Going Deeper with New Testament Greek, Köstenberger, et

Post by AlexCostea »

I looked through the content. It's pretty practical and is aimed as a sort of textbook for intermediate Greek. You might take a look here: http://bhacademic.com/books.asp?p=9781433679087. If you scroll down you will see that they offer a sample chapter. Hope this is helpful.
AlexCostea

Post by AlexCostea »

One of my colleagues asked this book for reviewing it and it should arrive in the spring. I might take a look at it. It is quite practical, intermediate level and designed more as a textbook. More information on the book you can find here: http://bhacademic.com/books.asp?p=9781433679087. They also provide a sample chapter.
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I looked through the first 72 pages. Certainly looks promising. The format is what it claims to be, readable. It's been a while since I have read intermediate level books. Not sure what has been done in the last two decades to replace Porter, Wallace and Young. I see they have a chapter planned on discourse analysis, a term that should be mothballed. Pervious works which offered a chapter on this made it pretty obvious that an introduction to textlinguistics isn't something that can be covered in a chapter. Stephen Carlson's recent thread[1] illustrates how these conversations tend to polarize between the Hatfields & the McCoys. I'm finishing Soph. Ajax so not tempted to get embroiled in that squabble again.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3584
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stirling Bartholomew

One trivial sugguestion. Change the title. Going Deeper is a cliche.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
cwconrad

Post by cwconrad »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote:One trivial sugguestion. Change the title. Going Deeper is a cliche.
Worse yet, it points toward an abyss! "All hope abandon, ye who enter here!" I've encountered people who felt like that about continuing in Greek beyond the first circle ...
οὔτοι ἀπ’ ἀρχῆς πάντα θεοὶ θνητοῖς ὑπέδειξαν,
ἀλλὰ χρόνῳ ζητέοντες ἐφευρίσκουσιν ἄμεινον. (Xenophanes, Fragment 16)

Carl W. Conrad
Department of Classics, Washington University (Retired)
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Thanks Alex, it is good to have a look at the tenor and content when considering using it.
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: The format is what it claims to be, readable.
Wow! I thought grammars came in tabular form (so pages 68 and 69 are my favourite section in this selection). This work seems to be as woolly as readable can be.

In the midst of the "readability" there seem to be as many faith statements as there are statements about the Greek language as such. The tribute to AT Robertson is a ponderous thing :shock: to find.

From what little appears in the preview, the work seems to be targeted towards exegesis and translation - getting abstract meaning and meaningful language out of the Greek. In the section shown in the preview, it is not really about the way the Greek works, but rather about what it means.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
David Fish

Post by David Fish »

I am going to give it a try as a 2nd year Greek text. At my institution, we have tried lots of approached to intermediate syntax: Dana-Mantey, Moeller, J. Harold Greenlee, et al. A major portion of what we have done in 2nd year Greek classes has been reading from the gospel of John (in its entirety), picking up and pointing out syntax as we go through that. For the past 9-10 years or so, we have used the abridged Wallace. I had not taught that level for a number of years, until just this current year, spending most of my time with 3rd year Greek students (lots of reading of NT text). So . . . I jumped back into 2nd year Greek this year (retirement of a colleague), and . . . I have been frustrated.

So . . . I was interested in the promo material. I crossed paths with Köstenberger a few decades back. He has gone on to fame, and I remain in obscurity. The book is out May 1, and I have to report textbooks for the fall semester next month. I contacted him, and he put me in contact with the publisher. I received an advance copy (PDF) from Broadman & Holman, so that I could make a decision. I am hopeful that it will good for students. In addition to our reading in John and the grammar, we have used Metzger's Lexical Aids. The next text has vocabulary lists (down side is that it only goes down to 15x-used words), so I'll have to preach that students need to continue on with 10x-14x words.

I plan to use the text over a 2 semester course, so that students get the entire volume at a pace that is doable. We will continue with our use of the entire gospel of John. We'll lose a little of the vocabulary, but we will also gain the graded reader selections, focussing in on the material taught in each chapter, which will provide samples of writing from every NT author.

The proof will be in the using of the text. I am very hopeful.

One of the things we have noted in our graduates who have gone on to a number of different seminaries is that, though they might not have mastered all of Daniel Wallace's categories, they can read Greek.

That's my 2 cents worth. Now I will slide back into my hole of obscurity.

I read this forum every day, but have posted very little. I appreciate you all.
David Fish
Ozark Christian College
Joplin, MO
dfish@occ.edu
Stirling Bartholomew

I crossed paths with Köstenberger a few decades back.
Decades ago Köstenberger got my attention for 15 mins when he edtied a book with Thomas R. Schreiner[1] . He has written extensivly[2].

[1]Co-editor with Thomas R. Schreiner and H. Scott Baldwin, Women in the Church: A Fresh Analysis of 1 Timothy 2:11–15 (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1995).

[2] http://apps.sebts.edu/FacultyUploads/An ... 20CV%2Epdf
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

David Fish wrote: One of the things we have noted in our graduates who have gone on to a number of different seminaries is that, though they might not have mastered all of Daniel Wallace's categories, they can read Greek.

That's my 2 cents worth. Now I will slide back into my hole of obscurity.

I read this forum every day, but have posted very little. I appreciate you all.
Please don't slide back. It's great to hear from you.

Secondly, if your students can read Greek, that's what counts. It's like a wedding. A lot of things can go wrong. A bridesmaid can step on the bride's train. The preacher can say the vows wrong. A small child can throw up in the pew. But if the couple walks away married, it's a success!
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Grammars”