Siebenthal - Ancient Greek Grammar

Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Siebenthal - Ancient Greek Grammar

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Siebenthal is that it essentially gives me the clear explanations of Smyth
Smyth is the most lucid reference grammar I have ever used. The language of Harvard a century ago might cause problems for non-native speakers but compared to Guy Cooper it is clear and concise. I used Cooper for Homer and Attic Tragedy but now he is molding on the shelf.

Pretty much lost interest in school boy grammar decades ago.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Barry Hofstetter

2019 Year of the Grammars

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

This blog post includes an interview with Siebenthal about the English edition of his grammar:

https://tinyurl.com/tmcoubm
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

I just ordered this from amazon.de. It was sold out from .com and .co.uk, and only 3 left in .de - seems to be popular, or they just had a small amount initially. Maybe there will be demand for a cheaper paperback for NT students?

At the same time I ordered The CGCG.

It's nice to have a Christmas :)
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: December 27th, 2019, 7:42 pm
At the same time I ordered The CGCG.

It's nice to have a Christmas :)
I ordered CGCG from InterLibLoan. Not into buying books. Still got some left but most have been given away.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: December 27th, 2019, 10:08 pm Not into buying books. Still got some left but most have been given away.
I am going the other way at the moment. Just moved to a new place and there is a lot more room - having a paper copy to hand is sometimes nicer than electronic. That said, for proper study the electronic versions are massively more helpful.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: December 28th, 2019, 4:15 am
Stirling Bartholomew wrote: December 27th, 2019, 10:08 pm Not into buying books. Still got some left but most have been given away.
I am going the other way at the moment. Just moved to a new place and there is a lot more room - having a paper copy to hand is sometimes nicer than electronic. That said, for proper study the electronic versions are massively more helpful.
I have both on Kindle, which is great since I travel. So far, I haven't persuaded myself to pay for BDAG in electronic form, since I have the hardbound book, but I don't carry it with me either.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Matthew Longhorn

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Jonathan Robie wrote: December 28th, 2019, 9:25 am So far, I haven't persuaded myself to pay for BDAG in electronic form, since I have the hardbound book
BDAG in olivetree is great as that is where I primarily do my NT reading. Just being able to click a word and get the lexical information is massively helpful. I also have a copy in Accordance - I tend to do most of my church fathers reading in there and unfortunately LSJ isn't available in Olivetree. BDAG and LSJ is a good help for them and Josephus.
I should probably not mention GE!
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: December 28th, 2019, 9:54 am
Jonathan Robie wrote: December 28th, 2019, 9:25 am So far, I haven't persuaded myself to pay for BDAG in electronic form, since I have the hardbound book
BDAG in olivetree is great as that is where I primarily do my NT reading. Just being able to click a word and get the lexical information is massively helpful. I also have a copy in Accordance - I tend to do most of my church fathers reading in there and unfortunately LSJ isn't available in Olivetree. BDAG and LSJ is a good help for them and Josephus.
Yes, I have lexicons that are good enough for everyday reading in Paratext and other resources. Doing research based on a paper copy is laborious, and I will eventually give up and pay for a second copy of a book I already have. I wish there were some way to automatically get electronic versions of texts I already own, or to pay for a lexicon once and use it with all my software.

Yes, I wish I lived in a world that does not exist.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: December 28th, 2019, 9:54 am
Yes, I have lexicons that are good enough for everyday reading in Paratext and other resources. Doing research based on a paper copy is laborious, and I will eventually give up and pay for a second copy of a book I already have. I wish there were some way to automatically get electronic versions of texts I already own, or to pay for a lexicon once and use it with all my software.

Yes, I wish I lived in a world that does not exist.
Brent Niedergall

Post by Brent Niedergall »

Here’s my review of von Siebenthal’s Ancient Greek Grammar:
https://niedergall.com/book-review-von ... testament/
Brent Niedergall

Return to “Grammars”