Chat GPT and Koine Greek

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Chat GPT and Koine Greek

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: March 28th, 2023, 6:42 am Do you see these becoming useful tools that can provide reliable data consistently for beginner/intermediate folk in the near future? Or something that will require careful filtering for bad data for foreseeable future and therefore more of a risk than a benefit?
Yes and no.

One way they can help the study of biblical Greek is by sparking ideas, which can be helpful, e.g., to break through writer's block (or reader's block). I wouldn't consider them reliable. ChatGPT 3.5 was an interesting conversation partner but its claims were too often wildly wrong and untraceable. So at this point they require careful filtering.
But you also ask about "becoming", "in the near future", "for the foreseeable future." What I'm impressed by is the improvement from 3.5 to 4 in just a few months, and the increased reliability brought by Bing's ability to look things up. If they follow that trajectory, I can foresee them becoming very useful in just a few years.
I can imagine AI bringing about a revolution as significant as the internet.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
MAubrey

Re: Chat GPT and Koine Greek

Post by MAubrey »

Ken M. Penner wrote: March 28th, 2023, 8:00 am If they follow that trajectory, I can foresee them becoming very useful in just a few years.
I can imagine AI bringing about a revolution as significant as the internet.
As long as their datasets are left unpublished and commercial companies continue exploit global south labor, I will continue to op-out of this revolution.
https://time.com/6247678/openai-chatgpt-kenya-workers/
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com

Return to “Software”