Android support for polytonic Greek

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
Jason Hare

Re: Android support for polytonic Greek

Post by Jason Hare »

I've just managed to get my phone unstuck. It's OK.

I'll let you know what I figure out, now that my phone is rooted.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Without rooting your device, you may be able to download and install a font package like DejaVu Sans from places like http://www.fontomizer.net/. I am able to see polytonic Greek and Hebrew and IPA symbols in all applications. The phone I did this on was a Samsung Galaxy Ace, so I'm not sure whether this will help you.
δαυιδ λιμ
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

David Lim wrote:Without rooting your device, you may be able to download and install a font package like DejaVu Sans from places like http://www.fontomizer.net/. I am able to see polytonic Greek and Hebrew and IPA symbols in all applications. The phone I did this on was a Samsung Galaxy Ace, so I'm not sure whether this will help you.
It seems that there are still problems with Hebrew niqqud that have to do with the device itself, as the same font works on my computer, so I don't know either.
δαυιδ λιμ
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Well, I hate to say, but I had to root my phone, change from the stock ROM (which was very limited). I then did a full backup and installed the Font Installer again (with a better ROM) and it worked. It's a problem of compatibility with the stock T-Mobile ROM... and now I've got the full Unicode Arial font installed, which includes Greek text.

However, it is only the Arial.ttf file and doesn't include the glyphs for italic, bold or bold-italic. That means, if someone uses bold or whatever, then the glyphs don't appear. It turns them into a box. Not sure how to change that.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I just got it completely fixed.

I had to root my device and use a Root Explorer to replace the Roboto fonts. If you want an explanation, let me know. For now, I've got polytonic Greek displaying perfectly in normal, bold, italic and bold italic with the Arial font. You could choose a different font, if you liked.

Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Orrin Winton

Post by Orrin Winton »

Jason, thanks for your replies. I think i will just not read the forum with my Android devices, just use my laptops. Not willing to root my Note 1.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I would just add that I picked up a Windows Surface RT tablet last week, and it supports polytonic Greek (even input) natively. I'm very disappointed in Android for their lack of attention. We have yet to hear anything about even an attempt to solve this problem. The community just doesn't care - because we don't make enough of a stink about it.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Ittiandro Vivona

Post by Ittiandro Vivona »

Hi
I read ancient Greek and I need a Greek Polytonic keyboard for my Android pad in order to type words when I search the L.S. lexicon or any other searchable Greek dictionary . I have tried to install a polytonic keyboard specifically suggested by the XDA Forum for classic Greek, but unfortunately my device ( D2-912) refuses the installation with a message saying" an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed". What does it mean? How can I install a Greek keyboard for this purpose ( typing only)? The device is already rooted, so there shouldn't be any problem.
Thanks

Ittiandro
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Hi Ittiandro - I'm afraid I haven't encountered this, but a Google search for android "an existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed" seems to pull up some information that may be helpful.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

FWIW, Firefox now displays polytonic Greek nicely on my Google Nexus.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Software”