Book by book analysis.

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
mlrolfe

Book by book analysis.

Post by mlrolfe »

I have a copy of Warren C. Trenchard 's "Complete Vocabulary Guide to th GNT"
The book details the forms and frequencies etc of the greek in the entire GNT.

My question is, can the same thing be obtained on a book by book basis for the GNT.

ie An analysis for Matthew, Mark, Luke etc.

I'm wondering if Silvermountain Software's Biblio 8.0 could do this, as it's quite well priced.
Or Logos Bible Software version ? but that is a lot more expensive.
Is there software available for this sort of study at University level.

An analysis like this would be very useful in reading the GNT.

mark
Jonathan Robie

Re: Book by book analysis.

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I can easily generate this kind of thing, if you help me know exactly what you want. Or if you have programming skills, I can show you where to get the data.

How would you use it? Would it be helpful to break it down by chapter?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
mlrolfe

Post by mlrolfe »

Thanks Jonathan,
Read this, but you may know another way.
The following discussion may seem “over the top”. I realize that things are usually harder to do than you think or too hard and are not worth doing. But some or all of this may have already been done. I may “lose” a reader in this post but I am not a expert in programming and there may be some readers who know exactly if the following has any merit.
Having said that, I need to be clear about what I mean.
But first about the approach.
I used to work in a large forestry company back in the 1980s which owned and managed its own forest plantations. I was one in a team who had the job of preparing standard reports for management on the “state of the forest”. In those days there were almost no PCs but we had access to the central “main frame” computer from monitor screens. The operating system was VMS and our team accessed the forest data base (a prepared flat file) and used a report generating program called “programmer”. We wrote many different programs depending on what report we wanted. Essentially the forest file was thousands of records (rows of data) and each record was made up of fields. Each field held data on an aspect of information which described the forest. The report generating program processed the file record by record, producing summary and/or detail reports on the full data set or a subset.
So going back to the GNT.
The variables used here, ie V,BK,CH,S,…F, are purpose of explanation.
Every verse – V, of the GNT is from a particular book – BK and from a chapter – CH.
You could also say each GNT is of a particular source – S.
For every verse of the GNT you have a string of greek words making up that verse.
Each greek word - G, has a lexicon form - LF, an English equivalent of the LF - ELF, also an English equivalent of G – EG, an associated strong’s number - S, and a morphology - M. You could also introduce an extra field – P, for part of speech and for Frequency – F.
Therefore a flat file made up of records with the following fields (not necessarily in this order) could be generated:
S BK CH V G LF ELF EG S M P F
There would be one record for every greek word in a particular source file - S. The values for the field BK would be the names(in English) of the books of the NT, the values for CH are chapter numbers, etc …. , P could take values : noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb, Prep ….., Frequency – F is the number of repeats of parts of a record in the report and is a bit harder to program.
A flat file like this could be loaded into MS excel and sorted by field etc. I’m not sure how big such a file would be but I don’t think it would overly big for todays PCs.
What could this be useful for.
Say, an analysis book by book, say select for Luke – BK = “luke”
Select for P = “verb”
Then sort by Strong’s number – S
Then sort by M.
The report could show the following fields: BK P S G LF EG M
This would give all the uses of verbs, sorted by S and sorted in order of the value of “M”, in Luke’s Gospel.
There could be a myriad of other things and one of the points of doing this would be to get familiar with a book before reading it.
Cheers and apologies,
mark
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

What you are looking for already exists. Here are the repositories for SBLGNT and Nestle 1904.

https://github.com/morphgnt/sblgnt
https://github.com/biblicalhumanities/Nestle1904

Here is the Septuagint:

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/r ... /lxxmorph/

There are also syntax trees for the Greek New Testament, built from these. We do not yet have them for the Septuagint.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
mlrolfe

Post by mlrolfe »

I'm coming to grips with this stuff using excel. I don't have time to learn about GIthub at the moment.
But it's looking interesting and I may have some stats soon.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

mlrolfe wrote:I'm coming to grips with this stuff using excel. I don't have time to learn about GIthub at the moment.
But it's looking interesting and I may have some stats soon.
Were you able to get the data out of github to put it into Excel? If not, I can help you, send me an email.
mlrolfe

Post by mlrolfe »

I have the data and I'm working on Nestle 1904.
mlrolfe

Post by mlrolfe »

As a first step for a book by book analysis of the Nestle Greek 1904 file obtained from - https://github.com/biblicalhumanities/Nestle1904 -
I have generated an excel file for Matthew which gives a break-down in Parts Of Speech (POS) categories.
The first 4 rows, (columns A to J) are:
A B C D E F G H I J
1 1 Matt 1 1 Βίβλος N N-NSF 976 βίβλος
2 1 Matt 1 1 γενέσεως N N-GSF 1078 γένεσις
3 1 Matt 1 1 Ἰησοῦ N N-GSM 2424 Ἰησοῦς
4 1 Matt 1 1 Χριστοῦ N N-GSM 5547 Χριστός

I have used the first letter of the functional morphological tag (column H) as the basis for a classification for parts of speech and also referring to “A Primer of Biblical Greek” by N. C. Croy and others.
I was surprised at the power of MS Excel to handle a file with 18299 rows(records). The “Filter and Sort” is very good for looking at individual POS categories for a whole book or on a chapter basis. There is no column K which gives an English equivalent but having a “BibleHub” interlinear open at the same chapter solves that and you have the ability to check out all the occurrences of a particular POS in a chapter and go to each occurrence in a web based interlinear.
There is an effort required to prepare the excel file. There may be many ways to do it. “Filter and Sort” will probably do all the work to create a column “G” and other new columns and I have found it to be a very powerful feature in excel. Some programming in excel functions might be needed, “copy and paste special” and using ctrl-alt-down(up)-arrow, to move around a large file.
The columns are:
A – A row order tag. In Matthew it has values 1 to 18299.
B – The number 1, this gives a simple way to count records (rows) for any selection.
C, D, E, F – Book, Chapter, verse, NT Greek word.
I , J – Strong’s No. , Greek Lemma.
G – part of speech, has categories:
A – adjectives , B – adverbs , C – conjunctions , D – demonstrative pronoun , F – reflexive p, H – hebrewism
I – interrogative p, J – interjection, K – correlative pronoun, L – participles, M – particle
N – nouns, O – prepositions, P – personal p, Q – correlative p, R – relative p, S – possessive adjective,
V – verbs, X – indefinite p.
A single letter category is for simplicity of use with excel’s “sort-filter” options. But there is surely a better set of part of speech categories.
I would be happy to share this file.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

If you want to add the English gloss, you could use Dodson:

https://github.com/biblicalhumanities/D ... ek-Lexicon

Use the CVS version of Dodson and match based on the Strong's number.

Return to “Software”