Fix for random addition of language keyboards in Windows 10

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
Randy Leedy

Fix for random addition of language keyboards in Windows 10

Post by Randy Leedy »

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 around the beginning of this year, I've been plagued with Windows adding, for no apparent reason at all, Afrikaans as a Unicode typing language. Afrikaans happens to be at the top of the alphabetical list of available languages. One of the irritating things is that, while Afrikaans came up in the list of installed languages accessible from the taskbar (or by the command keystroke to step to the next available language in order), it did not appear in the control panel applet and therefore could not be removed. The short-term fix was first to add Afrikaans as an available language and then it could be removed--for a few days until Windows decided to bring it back. I never did figure out what brought it back; perhaps system restarts and I just did not notice the return of Afrikaans soon enough to make the connection.

To find a permanent fix I had to do a little digging beyond the first few google search results. Are any others having this or a similar problem? If so, I will be glad to share the fix I found, which involves adding an entry to the Windows registry. Since implementing this fix a couple of weeks ago I have had no further problem of this sort.

For any readers who are savvy with the registry and need no help, here is the addition you need to make, as configured by the registry's Export command:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"IgnoreRemoteKeyboardLayout"=dword:00000001

If I understand things correctly, this fix will have the side effect of preventing Windows from configuring itself with languages found on other computers networked with yours, but I don't imagine there would be many B-Greek readers at all who would find that loss objectionable at all.

I won't trouble with additional information or assistance until I see whether anyone else needs help with this; perhaps my case was relatively rare.

Randy Leedy
www.NTGreekGuy.com

Return to “Software”