Blue Letter Bible formatting - circumflexes with diaereses

Bible Study software, Unicode, Fonts, Keyboards, creating Web pages in Greek, and other software issues.
Stephen Nelson

Blue Letter Bible formatting - circumflexes with diaereses

Post by Stephen Nelson »

Can anyone explain why the formatting in Blue Letter Bible includes a diaresis underneath circuflex accents in dative plurals? - i.e. –οῗς
Stephen Carlson

Re: Blue Letter Bible formatting - circumflexes with diaereses

Post by Stephen Carlson »

It's not correct so there can be any number of reasons why it's wrong.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Nelson

Post by Stephen Nelson »

Stephen Carlson wrote: July 16th, 2020, 2:09 am It's not correct so there can be any number of reasons why it's wrong.
Thanks. I'm less concerned about 'reasons why it's wrong' (since I know why it's wrong) and more concerned with the origin of the error, which is very consistent in BLB. It makes copying and pasting from that website problematic.

I imagine there should be a way to simply find-and-replace these characters in the database. But, obviously, nobody at BLB is too concerned with it.

The oddity certainly doesn't keep me up at night. I've ignored it just fine for years. But I thought someone on this forum might have an explanation.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Stephen Nelson wrote: July 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm
Stephen Carlson wrote: July 16th, 2020, 2:09 am It's not correct so there can be any number of reasons why it's wrong.
Thanks. I'm less concerned about 'reasons why it's wrong' (since I know why it's wrong) and more concerned with the origin of the error, which is very consistent in BLB. It makes copying and pasting from that website problematic.

I imagine there should be a way to simply find-and-replace these characters in the database. But, obviously, nobody at BLB is too concerned with it.

The oddity certainly doesn't keep me up at night. I've ignored it just fine for years. But I thought someone on this forum might have an explanation.
I had a quick look and cannot see an example. Can you point me to a specific case ? I am wondering if there is a font issue of some kind.

Also, have you asked them about it ?

Thx
D
Stephen Nelson

Post by Stephen Nelson »

Daniel Semler wrote: July 16th, 2020, 1:29 pm
I had a quick look and cannot see an example. Can you point me to a specific case ? I am wondering if there is a font issue of some kind.

Also, have you asked them about it ?

Thx
D
Actually, now that I'm looking closer, it seems to ONLY be an issue in their LXX text. Their NT text seems to be without this issue. So, just look up a random OT chapter (i.e. Genesis 1) and select the LXX (or expand any other version at look at the LXX tools).

For example, Genesis 1:30 -
καὶ πᾶσι τοῗς θηρίοις τῆς γῆς καὶ πᾶσι τοῗς πετεινοῗς τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ παντὶ ἑρπετῷ τῷ ἕρποντι ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ὃ ἔχει ἐν ἑαυτῷ ψυχὴν ζωῆς πάντα χόρτον χλωρὸν εἰς βρῶσιν καὶ ἐγένετο οὕτως
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lxx/gen/1/1/t_conc_1030

No, I haven't asked them about it. I imagine they've imported their LXX text from some digital version that had this corruption. Or, maybe, the import process corrupted the text, which seems to be systematic in the dative case.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Cute. Looks like the proverbial Foo poking his head up over a wall :) I haven't checked the encoding but something got messed up somewhere - hopefully it would be a relatively easy fix.

Ok, I would let them know, so they can figure it out and get it fixed.

Thx
D
Stephen Nelson

Post by Stephen Nelson »

OK. I reported it on their website. Notably, it does not appear to be an issue on iOS.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Wow - it's actually encoded as that : https://codepoints.net/U+1FD7

I didn't realize there was a precomposed for this.
And that makes me wonder about ιος unless they are somehow serving a different file there.

Thx
D

Return to “Software”