How to choose UTF-8 encoding in Internet Explorer 9

SusanJeffers

How to choose UTF-8 encoding in Internet Explorer 9

Post by SusanJeffers »

I'm a member of a small Yahoo group whose members use unicode Greek.

For the first couple of weeks, we were all seeing the unicode displayed properly in our individual emails forwarded through the Yahoo group, but when any of us would try to look at the same posts within the online Yahoo Group, the Greek would be garbled.

I've been making some headway with the issue thanks to some advice I found online:

In my older XP computer, I use Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla FireFox 11. On both of these I was able to go to View ==> Encoding ==> Unicode (UTF-8)
and from that point forward our Yahoo Groups Greek displays fine.

Also on my newer Windows 7 computer, I adjusted the View ==> Encoding ==> Unicode (UTF-8)
and can now see our Yahoo Greeks A-OK.

However, on my Windows 7 computer I also use Internet Explorer 9, and in that browser I can't seem to find anywhere to do a View ==> Encoding ==> Unicode (UTF-8)
type of setting.

I see unicode Greek just fine here on b-greek, and in fact saw unicode Greek just fine here and in several other programs, both before and since the above adjustments. I don't know what's different about Yahoo Groups, but it seems to me that if I could just make the encoding change in IE 9 I might have solved the problem.

Can anyone help me with this? It's not really a Greek problem per se, but I have nowhere else to turn, and it does affect my ability to discuss Greek with these delightful colleagues...

Alternatively, if anyone knows of some other free online platform where Unicode Greek works, that would allow us to have a closed discussion where we can also post files that we can all edit and discuss, that might work too..

Thanks in advance -- How would you say "b-greek rocks!" in Greek? (I'm trying... I really am...)

χαιρη υμιν, και ειρηνη
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: How to choose UTF-8 encoding in Internet Explorer 9

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

The problem is in Yahoo. The character set should be in the html code, but Yahoo doesn't support it. For the IE, does this help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... e-settings ?
SusanJeffers

Post by SusanJeffers »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:The problem is in Yahoo. The character set should be in the html code, but Yahoo doesn't support it. For the IE, does this help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... e-settings ?
well, I thought the problem was in Yahoo too -- right up until I was apparently able to solve it via settings in my Firefox and IE8 browsers. The IE help screen you sent me to is one I had found previously, but could not find anything that worked, there....

I dimly recall some other situations, when I first got this Windows 7 computer, where some websites weren't working right, and the suppliers told me that Microsoft had made changes in Internet Explorer 9 that were not backward compatible... but I don't now recall what I ever did about it... there is at least one platform I use often that only works properly with Firefox but not with Explorer. Possible Yahoo Groups will be another....

Thanks!
Craig Borten

Post by Craig Borten »

Hey, I was searching for some Greek fonts to use in a project of mine. I can’t find anything I like till now. Can somebody share some fonts here? At Least share some links to any websites with paid or free fonts. Thanks in advance.

Post by jeffreyrequadt »

Jeffrey T. Requadt
Tucson, AZ
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Susan, I had the same problem with Yahoo. I had discovered a wonderful and active group of over 1000 members who were discussing the communicative approach to teaching Latin ("Latin Best Practices"). To my delight, a sister group for Greek was listed in Yahoo. But there was very little activity in the group and Greek was not supported. After trying in vain to fix the problem of displaying Greek in Yahoo, another member and I re-started the group in Google Groups. Our Ancient Greek Best Practices group in Google has been running for a year and we've had no problems with Greek displaying correctly.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

SusanJeffers wrote:I'm a member of a small Yahoo group whose members use unicode Greek.

Thanks in advance -- How would you say "b-greek rocks!" in Greek? (I'm trying... I really am...)

χαιρη υμιν, και ειρηνη
βητα-ἐληνικα σειονται ; ?
Shirley Rollinson
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Craig Borten wrote:Hey, I was searching for some Greek fonts to use in a project of mine. I can’t find anything I like till now. Can somebody share some fonts here? At Least share some links to any websites with paid or free fonts. Thanks in advance.

For links to legacy fonts : http://www.drshirley.org/fonts/index.html
For font downloads : http://www.drshirley.org/fonts/download.html

Shirley Rollinson
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Shirley Rollinson wrote:
SusanJeffers wrote:Thanks in advance -- How would you say "b-greek rocks!" in Greek? (I'm trying... I really am...)

χαιρη υμιν, και ειρηνη
βητα-ἐληνικα σειονται ; ?
Shirley Rollinson
χαρις υμιν και ειρηνη
θαυμαστη τη β-ελληνικη
δαυιδ λιμ

Return to “Unicode and Fonts”