Anki - Flashcards

Paul-Nitz

Anki - Flashcards

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Anki, a powerful digital flashcard program. It is a free download.
http://ankisrs.net/

If you are looking to improve rote memorization of anything, Anki's program is a powerful tool.

Brief Description:
In the Anki program, a "deck" is a set of digital flashcards. For example, a question on one side (What is the capital of Malawi?), and an answer on the other (Lilongwe).

The best part of Anki is the alorithm that is used to review information. If you answer a card wrong, you can choose to review it sooner. If you are right, you choose later. The algorithm does the rest.

Learning Curve:
If someone is is using a prepared "shared deck" (downloaded from within the program) there is really no learning curve at all to using Anki.
Creating your own deck card by card is not too difficult.
But the documentation for importing lists of information to automatically create a deck, is a bit more difficult.

Resources:
It looks like there are thousands of prepared decks from many different disciplines. I've only really looked at the Greek resources.
There are several Greek vocabulary "decks" of flashcards to choose that someone has already set up. There are also a few inflection and declension decks. See below.
Vocabulary decks include some general lists and some keyed to Greek primers. A list of some of them are at the bottom of this message.

Possibilities:
An exciting capability in Anki is that you can easily add images and/or audio to a flashcard. This may open up the possibility of learning that is more than rote memorization. Imagine a deck of cards with an action image on one side. "Flip" the card and you hear and see the corresponding Greek. See my post at B-Greek "Board Index < Projects"

List of some Greek decks:

Vocabulary decks keyed to primers include:
  • Greek to Me
    Athenaze
    Duff
    JACT
    Hansen & Quinn
    Mounce
    Mastronarde
    Saffire
    Wenham
    Hale
Title: Greek New Testament vocab (unicode format)
  • Tags: bible greek new testament koine
    Size: 713.10KB
    Uploader: None
    Downloads: 1427
    Modified: 2.7 years ago

This file contains all of the lexemes in the Greek New Testament (UBS4), added by descending frequency. All translation glosses and frequencies are taken from BibleWorks 8. All entries are tagged by part of speech, and also frequency brackets (1-9, 10-19, 20-34, 35-49, 50+).
Title: Koine Greek: All NT words - Mounce 3rd ed.
  • Tags: koine greek bible biblical
    Size: 741.86KB
    Downloads: 1779
    Modified: 2.1 years ago

This is a Koine Greek vocab set (unicode). It has been released for use with Bill Mounce's, "Basics of Biblical Greek" (3rd ed.).

The database was built with Bill Mounce's help and permission. It is tagged for use with his grammar and contains all words in the New Testament which are tagged according to frequency.

All words/definitions from frequency 1-9 are taken from Accordance Bible Software.
Title: Homeric Greek vocabulary (frequency 50+)
  • Tags: greek homer homeric classics vocabulary
    Size: 68.17KB
    Downloads: 347
    Modified: 2.0 years ago

This deck includes all parts of speech (nouns, verbs, particles, conjunctions) that occur 50 or more times in the Iliad and the Odyssey.
Title: New Testament Greek (Keyed to Metzger's "Lexical Aids")
  • Tags: Greek New Testament Biblical Koine Hellenistic Metzger Unicode
    Size: 193.72KB
    Downloads: 325
    Modified: 1.5 years ago

Nov. 6, 2010 (Unicode)

New Testament Greek vocabulary keyed to Bruce Metzger's "Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek."

All lexical forms of NT vocabulary down to 10 uses. Not all the definitions are identical to the book—though I've modified a few to more closely reflect Metzger's English glosses. Unless your teacher is exceptionally rigid about definitions (of which most are nearly identical to Metzger's), this list should be adequate.

Vocabulary is tagged by "group" (frequency range in "Lexical Aids") and "week," following the syllabus of a recent course I took.

I recommend using the SBL Greek font, freely available at:
    http://sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx

I plan to update the definitions when I have time (whenever that will be), but if anyone else decides to do so, please email me at jake.jack.jacob@gmail.com and I will happily update this entry, giving due credit, of course.
Title: LXX Greek Vocabulary - 100 Times or More
  • Tags:
    Size: 191.12KB
    Downloads: 42
    Modified: 8.0 months ago

All Greek words used in the LXX 100 times or more, sorted from most frequent to least frequent so you get the most bang for your study-buck
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
S Walch

Re: Anki - Flashcards

Post by S Walch »

Apologies for resurrecting a thread now 5 years old, but I only just came across this programme (thanks to a handy post over at the B-Hebrew forum), and have been immensely impressed with it even just after a couple days of use.

Anyone got any thoughts on the "Living Koine" decks? Only started it today, and I found it pretty good, albeit a bit easy. Guessing it's more suited to beginners than intermediate+.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

Since my last post (2012) I had been thinking that flashcards were largely useless and that all vocabulary should be learned in a reading context. I've changed my mind on that after some research into language acquisition. Rote learning of vocabulary can be a good supplement. My personal opinion is that it will be more valuable for learners getting the high frequency vocabulary down. I've been playing with a new deck to that end, found here.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/293590356

Note that Anki's rules on sharing decks has changed over the past years. Many decks that were previously available can no longer be found.
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Can't download any of your decks to try out, Paul =/

I would definitely agree this is more a supplement method rather than a "learn everything you need to know this way" method.

Though the great thing about this is that you can use sentences rather than just plain old "Here's a word - what does it mean?"

I believe the algorithm that Anki uses is its main draw. Most of the reviews praise it mainly for that.
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

The link in my last post seems to work, at least for the deck I mentioned.
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/293590356
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Yes it's working fine for me now. Think it was because I had yet to validate my email :)
raeryder

Post by raeryder »

Hello! I realize that I'm years late to this thread, but maybe someone will see this. I'm working through Metzger's Lexical Aids right now and was so excited to see that someone had already created an Anki deck for these vocabulary words. But I can't click on/access any of these links. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Rachel
Paul-Nitz

Post by Paul-Nitz »

https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/metzger

I found an Anki deck for Metzger's Lexical Aids at the link above and tested downloading it into my Anki Desktop app. Works fine.

I looked at a few cards. One of them was "from."
Well... what would you answer to that Greek mavens? παρά, ἀπό, ἐκ, Genitives?
Another card was καί.
You can predict the flip side of that card, "and, but."
--
I think these two cards illustrate something. Learning function words (as opposed to content words) via flashcards is maybe not such a good idea. The overlap of meaning between "water" and υδωρ is big. It justifies learning υδωρ with a simple gloss. If there are subtle differences (and there always will be), they can be figured out later. But the semantic overlap between "and" and καί is small. In fact, maybe the two words are just not on the same plane. I think it's misleading to say that καί "means 'and.'"

The same is true for nearly all function words. What accurate English gloss would you match with δέ, γαρ, διά, αὐτός, ἵνα, etc.?

But coming up with a quick and easy English gloss for content words is easy: εκκλησία, λέγω, αγαθός, ἐπανόρθωσις.

Return to “Other”