Zoom discussion groups of Greek linguistics

Anything related to Biblical Greek that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Matthew Longhorn

Zoom discussion groups of Greek linguistics

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Does anyone know of any discussion groups that deal with Greek Linguistics in a zoom type format that might be open to new participants? I read a lot of things, but often don't apply them properly, or just plain misunderstand. A group that meets every now and then to talk through an agreed book or a journal article etc in an informal way would be great!

If nothing known... anyone up for forming one?
Stephen Carlson

Re: Zoom discussion groups of Greek linguistics

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Never heard of one. Might be interesting.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Stephen Carlson wrote: August 25th, 2022, 8:12 am Never heard of one. Might be interesting.
Lots of papers free on Academia.edu that could be used so that would remove cost.
Format could be something like fortnightly or monthly hour zoom meet:
1. Agree as a group a paper to read before the next session
2. People apply the concepts in the paper and see whether they work in the Greek that they are reading between groups
3. In session discuss the paper's concepts first.
5. Discuss examples of the concept applied to key texts if people post into chat or ahead of time.
4. Agree next paper
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

This is something I had hoped to do this year, but haven't followed up on because of too many other issues & family challenges arising.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Matthew Longhorn

MAubrey wrote: August 25th, 2022, 12:33 pm This is something I had hoped to do this year, but haven't followed up on because of too many other issues & family challenges arising.
If it doesn’t clash with your plans, and there is interest then I would be happy to try to organise an initial meet with all interested to talk through suggestions. Timezones may be an issue of course.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I’m also interested, but I’m in the Jerusalem time zone.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Matthew Longhorn

Jason Hare wrote: August 26th, 2022, 7:25 am I’m also interested, but I’m in the Jerusalem time zone.
Well I am UK, so 2 hours behind you. May just be the case that it we can’t get a common time for Europe/Middle East and America that works. I think it could be a useful/hopefully fun thing to do even if that results in a smaller group size. thoughts?
Matthew Longhorn

Well, I hope Mike etc considers picking this up in the future - definitely be good to be headed up by someone qualified.
If anyone is interested in doing something informally then PM me and it would be good to arrange something.
doday

Post by doday »

It's not free, but I know that Daryl Burling has memberships that include weekly reading calls (and you can also take courses). They discuss morphology and syntax and translate and discuss the text (very much in the vein of Daniel Wallace's Exegetical Syntax and associated Grammar Translation Method (GTM), if you're open to that approach). I am a former member and found the reading calls enjoyable for having regular interaction related to the biblical texts in their original language (I also was on some of his calls that read portions of the Apostolic Fathers in Greek). The group is geographically distributed so they usually had a couple different options to accommodate folks in different time zones (Daryl is in New Zealand I believe).
Dan O’Day
Jacob Rhoden

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

I like the idea of this type of zoom group. I'd definitely try to participate if someone starts something like this.

Return to “Other”