its all greek to me [introduction]

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Marvin

its all greek to me [introduction]

Post by Marvin »

in other words - I haven't got a clue.

I try to gain a better understanding of the phrase of love thy neighbour like thyself, understanding it to mean those who you call your own. After all, the ultimate sign of love to give your life for oneself does not make sense but you can give your life for thyself. This is supported by the translation provided in the bible hub stating σεαυτὸν to mean "of yourself". Thus I wonder what the difference of the left or right leaning acccent over the o reflects.
Jason Hare

Re: its all greek to me

Post by Jason Hare »

Given that this thread is under "Introductions," perhaps we should curtail any further discussion about this question and put it under "Beginners."

I'll go ahead and do that.
Jason A. Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Re: its all greek to me

Post by Jason Hare »

Marvin wrote: April 8th, 2021, 2:42 am in other words - I haven't got a clue.

I try to gain a better understanding of the phrase of love thy neighbour like thyself, understanding it to mean those who you call your own. After all, the ultimate sign of love to give your life for oneself does not make sense but you can give your life for thyself. This is supported by the translation provided in the bible hub stating σεαυτὸν to mean "of yourself". Thus I wonder what the difference of the left or right leaning acccent over the o reflects.
Marvin, we'll split the thread so that the question of "of yourself" will be separated out.

I just wanted to say "welcome to the forum." Also, please take the time to read up on our policy regarding usernames and on the other forum policies before posting further.

Where do you come to Greek from? Are you interested in learning the language in some formal way? What background do you have in languages generally?

ἔρρωσο,
Ἰάσων

P.S. I'm a Hebrew teacher, not a Greek teacher. Greek is only a hobby for me.
Jason A. Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Introductions”