Intro: Christopher Albert

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

Intro: Christopher Albert

Post by ALBERTCHRISTOPHER »

Hi, My name is Krzysztof (Christopher in English), aged 55. I am writing from Poland. I would like to introduce myself:
-by education I am a teacher of English, Latin and Greek.I studied these three languages at university.
But, to be honest, I have never taught ancient Greek, as in Poland there are no schools with Greek.
I deal with Teaching English in various types of schools and on courses in the army. Now, unfortuantely, I am unemployed.
Sometimes I have dealt with ancient Greek by translating some fragments from the New Testament.
For a few months I learn ancient Greek again, this time, not New Testamental Greek, but so called classical,
So, I have a lot work with that. One can say that it is one big, hard work.
I have forgotten a lot when it comes to this Greek from the 5th century. But, I am very keen on it.

Christopher
Jonathan Robie

Re: Intro: Christopher Albert

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Welcome, Krzysztof! I'm pretty sure the vast majority of members have never taught Greek, you are very welcome here. And lots of people are interested in ancient Greek outside the New Testament.

What are you working on now?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

Hi,

Thank you for the message. Now I am still in polishing my Greek. So, I do not concentrate on a chosen work, though from time to time I translate St. Paul's letter to Romans
But, I would like to translate something from ancient literature, However, I hesitate what to translate. The choice is so rich. I have thought about Plato's Politician.
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

To be honest, I am interested in various things connected with ancient times, such as: philosophy, religion, social problems, etc. And, as I mentioned I would like to translate something. Maybe, you have any suggestion, any idea?

Christopher
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

Sorry, but I would like to add that I am interested in the New Testament very much. I am very keen on translating work of the New Testament. To be honest, I am very satified when I can read it in original. And, as I mentioned now from time to time I focus on the letter to Romans.
James Bell

Post by James Bell »

Dear christopher
I have found that the Apostolic Fathers greek texts by Michael Holmes was very good and useful reading practice...Other texts that helped me a lot are Acta Apostolorum apocrypha compiled by Tischendorf, he doesn't translate which is also good, either you get it or you dont...but the greek is not hard. The scholars bible, the infancy gospels of James and Thomas was good......the Apocryphal gospels compiled by Bart Ehrman had apocryphal gospels that were small easy to digest chunks. The LXX will be helpful too, especially the first books.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Greetings, Christopher. The universal experience of those of us who started with classical Greek is that reading the NT presents very little difficulty. If you read Plato, I would start with the Apologia. You might also want to consider Xenephon's Anabasis, as narrative texts are often easier at least in parts than theme/subject oriented texts.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Introductions”