Another Newbie

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
Brooklyn

Another Newbie

Post by Brooklyn »

Hello, my name is Mike, I'm from Brooklyn New York. I don't have much imagination so I told that for my username. I also have a very limited Greek vocabulary, and very little knowledge of Greek syntax and grammar, so I probably won't be able to contribute very much, but I'd like to read along, and every now and then I might have a question about the nuances of a particular word or phrase.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Another Newbie

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Welcome Mike, good to have you. We do have a real name policy for the screen name, which we can change for you or you can add a signature line with your real name. As for your level of Greek, all are welcome who want to learn. Have you considered learning the language more systematically? If so, plenty of help can be gotten here, and there is an increasing amount of good online resources available for the self learner.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Re: Another Newbie

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Welcome, Mike.
I'd encourage you to read a verse-or-so of the Greek New Testament each day - even if you don't understand everything at present. Read it aloud, and listen to yourself speak. Make a note of one or two words which you don't recognize, write them down, and use a dictionary or grammar book to try to work out what they are. Do this each day, and soon you will have whole blocks of words which you recognize as soon as you see or hear them.
A good resource is the "Daily Dose of Greek" - a painless way to keep up with your Greek reading and learning - go to https://dailydoseofgreek.com/ and sign up - it's free.
I wrote a short piece on 'How to learn a language" for my online students, which might be of help. It's at http://www.drshirley.org/greek/textbook ... ix-A03.pdf
Welcome to B-Greek, Keep reading, and enjoy :-)
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Introductions”