Quote= button

Questions and discussion about B-Greek policies or the B-Greek forum.
Stephen Hughes

Quote= button

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jonathan
One thing that I am doing repetitively is putting a ="" into the first section of the (quote)(/quote) after EVERY time I push the Quote button.

If there were another Quote= button that automatically added the ="" that would be great.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Carlson

Re: Quote= button

Post by Stephen Carlson »

There are a lot of great suggestions for customizing a phpBB forum such as this one. Unfortunately, it takes programming and then, when the base software is updated, the customized changes disappear and have to be reimplemented. Such a suggestion has to be made to the maintainers of the base software.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Stephen Carlson wrote:There are a lot of great suggestions for customizing a phpBB forum such as this one. Unfortunately, it takes programming and then, when the base software is updated, the customized changes disappear and have to be reimplemented. Such a suggestion has to be made to the maintainers of the base software.
Precisely.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Well, I've had a look around that phpBB support site and now have impression as to the scope of what they aim to cater for with a generic product.

Considering the rate and volume of posts that I see some of the posters on TextKit and the Greek Orchid Society make, and now on that phpBB support site too, I can't imagine that I'm the only dolt sitting in front of the computer monitoring and trying to optimise their work-flow efficiency when posting, so the need for this function is probably a product of my own posting style. I don't find it listed in the add-on library. Presumably the future development direction of the base product would be driven by what optional add-ons people are adding, and if a majority are adding one, then it would go into the base product.

Obviously, as good as an idea as this might have been, it is not something that the masses are clamouring for (or even murmuring in discontent that they don't have), so clearly it doesn't need to be implemented at a base product level.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Questions”