τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Tim Evans

τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ

Post by Tim Evans »

Hi Guys,
Revelation 1:8 Ἐγώ εἰμι τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ ⸆, λέγει κύριος ὁ θεός
Does anyone know why alpha is spelt out and omega is not? It is not explained in any of the commentaries I have, if you know of a commentary that might help clarify things like this, I'd love to know about it.

I assume its something to do with the fact original manuscripts were written without spaces between the letters? Or perhaps "A" was reserved for some other meaning?
Stephen Hughes

Re: τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ

Post by Stephen Hughes »

There is some variation in ἄλφα /Ἄ, so it may not be significant. Look at Alan Bunnig's site and dial in your verse.

I think that having the article in front of it - regardless of whether it is spelt out or not - makes it clear enough that it's a letter. If the article were masculine "ὁ" then it may have been read as πρῶτος "first". The symbolic significance of ὦ would be ἔσχατος "last (in a sequence)", or τέλος "last (without anything following)".
LSJ ὦ wrote:The name of the letter was τὸ ὦ (perispom. acc. to Hellad. ap. Phot.p.530B.), cf. Achae.33.3, Pl.Phdr.244d, Cra. 420b, Tht.203c: after the loss of the distinction betw. long and short vowels, ο and ω had the same pronunciation; they begin to be confused in Papyri of iii B. C. (“οἰκωνόμου” PRev.Laws 50.22 (iii B. C.)), but the name ω μέγα appears first in later Greek, Theognost.Can. 13; “κατὰ σχῆμα διπλοῦ ω_ ἤτοι μεγάλου” Eust.869.26; “οἱ δὲ περὶ Ἀρίσταρχον αὐτὸ τὸ ποτήριον ω_ μέγα εἶναί φασιν, ὁποῖν ἴσως τὸ κατὰ δύο υ_ ἐσχηματισμένον” Id.869.29; ἐν τῷ ω_ μεγάλῳ under omega (in a lexicon), Id.1828.49: “διὰ του^ ω_ μεγάλου” Hdn.Epim.208.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
klriley

Re: τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ

Post by klriley »

The names for omicron and omega where originally simply their sounds: ο and ω. When the distinction was lost between short and long vowels, the first was referred to as o micron, and the second as o mega. So the name of ω is spelt out, just as alpha is.

Return to “Beginners Forum”