τἄνθρωπος

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Matthew Longhorn

τἄνθρωπος

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

Wondering whether anyone can tell me why a writer may choose to employ the form in the post title above rather than keeping the article and the noun separate.
Context
Καὶ δὴ καὶ φυσιολογεῖν Μωυσῆς μετὰ τὴν ἑβδόμην ἤρξατο περὶ τῆς τἀνθρώπου κατασκευῆς λέγων οὕτως

It seems to keep the emphasis on κατασκευῆς but that is just a vague impression based on reduction in morphological bulk
Matthew Longhorn

Re: τἄνθρωπος

Just spotted another example - τἀγαθοῦ

οἰόμενος δὲ συμφορᾷ περιπεσεῖσθαι παρακούσαντας ἀναπείθει κακοήθως τὴν γυναῖκα γεύσασθαι τοῦ φυτοῦ τῆς φρονήσεως ἐν αὐτῷ λέγων εἶναι τήν τε τἀγαθοῦ καὶ τοῦ κακοῦ διάγνωσιν
Bruce McKinnon

Post by Bruce McKinnon »

Matthew, are you able to identify for us the Biblical passages to which you are referring?
Matthew Longhorn

Apologies, they are from Josephus’ Antiquities. The first quote was from 1:34 and the second1:42
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Crasis of the article is also found in Papias, ἀλλὰ τοῖς τἀληθῆ διδάσκουσιν (ap. Eus. HE 3.39.3).

It is striking that in all these admittedly few cases, the article in crasis is preceded by an article (with or without an intervening enclitic τε).
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks Stephen, that is a helpful structural clue.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Hi Matthew,

Herbert Weir Smyth documents some rules concerning when it occurs. https://www.ccel.org/s/smyth/grammar/ht ... ni.htm#p22. Other grammars, more classical than NT, note that it's passing out of use. I'm guessing it occurs in Josephus because of his style which is said to be to Atticised though I'm no judge myself. I read somewhere it helps in poetry for metrical concerns.

Thx
D
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks Daniel, that is helpful link.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Crasis is very common in Attic Greek and also authors who have Atticizing tendencies. There is no special meaning or emphasis. BTW, you would never see τἄνθρωπος...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Matthew Longhorn

Hi Barry, thanks
Also, yep I realised after I posted that it couldn’t be in the form I gave but was too lazy to update. Given that it is a crasis of the article and the noun a masculine second declension nominative singular definitely doesn’t start with a tau on the article

Return to “Beginners Forum”