prep phrase position

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
sandrajune

prep phrase position

Post by sandrajune »

Hello,
I am brand new here and I have what is probably a very basic question but it's finals time and my brain isn't functioning. :D

When using a prepositional phrase to modify a noun, does the placement before or after the noun matter to the meaning?

for example: ηλθον προ εμοῦ or προ εμοῦ ηλθον

Thank you!
Barry Hofstetter

Re: prep phrase position

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Greetings, Sandra, feel free to introduce yourself in the Introductions subforum. To answer your question, no and a bit of yes. In terms of how we end up rendering the Greek into English, it often does not make a difference, but word order in the longer sentence can sometimes make a difference (with things like emphasis).
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Re: prep phrase position

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

sandrajune wrote: November 20th, 2019, 8:04 pm Hello,
I am brand new here and I have what is probably a very basic question but it's finals time and my brain isn't functioning. :D

When using a prepositional phrase to modify a noun, does the placement before or after the noun matter to the meaning?

for example: ηλθον προ εμοῦ or προ εμοῦ ηλθον

Thank you!
welcome to B-Greek. What comes first in a Greek sentence tends to be what was first in the speaker's mind.
ηλθον προ εμοῦ - THEY CAME before me.
προ εμοῦ ηλθον - they came BEFORE ME.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, and life after Finals :-)
Shirley Rollinson

Return to “Beginners Forum”