Please help me to identify the letters in greek

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
Stephen Carlson

Re: Please help me to identify the letters in greek

Post by Stephen Carlson »

3d1l wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:44 pm
Another: "τῷ ςεναγμῷ τῶν οωτερίαν ουνεξευγμένην" - Here I did found that he was quoting Nazianzen and I found who was Gregory Nazianzen but from which of Nazianzen's books is he quoting?
Not sure because of the misspellings.
The first and the thrid word are ok. The second one I was able to find it exactly the same way in this other resouce. Here is a snip with the portion of the text with that word. For the other two that's the way they are presented in the book. Can you help me with those?
In this case ς = στ (the "stigma" ligature). Also you have confused ο (omicron) and σ (sigma).

If you intend to pursue this further, I strongly encourage you to take a course in Greek first.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

3d1l wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:44 pm
Another: "τῷ ςεναγμῷ τῶν οωτερίαν ουνεξευγμένην" - Here I did found that he was quoting Nazianzen and I found who was Gregory Nazianzen but from which of Nazianzen's books is he quoting?
Not sure because of the misspellings.
The first and the thrid word are ok. The second one I was able to find it exactly the same way in this other resouce. Here is a snip with the portion of the text with that word. For the other two that's the way they are presented in the book. Can you help me with those?
You are dealing with an old type-face - see the 'long s' glyph used for the English 's' at the beginning or middle of a word. The glyph which is puzzling you in the Greek ςεναγμῷ is a 'lunate sigma' - it is just an old way of writing a sigma. The fourth and fifth words in the Greek phrase above should also begin with sigmas, not with omicrons - there has probably been a mistake in transcription.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

3d1l wrote: September 14th, 2020, 10:44 pmThe first and the thrid word are ok. The second one I was able to find it exactly the same way in this other resouce. Here is a snip with the portion of the text with that word. For the other two that's the way they are presented in the book. Can you help me with those?
I have put you on moderated status until you conform to the forum policy on usernames. This forum does not allow anonymous participation, and you've been asked several times to address it. In your next post (which will not be released to the forum), give us your name so that we can change it in the system for you. You will then be removed from moderated status and have posting privileges restored.

To be clear, it is fine and well that you don't have any degrees in biblical languages. I'm in the same position. I don't have any degrees in relevant fields, holding only a B.A. in Spanish Language and Literature. I also happen to know several PhD's in Hebrew who do not read or speak Hebrew as well as I do. Degrees are not what we hold in esteem at B-Greek (or at B-Hebrew). We're interested in the languages and in the texts that we've received in those languages far more than we care what letters follow (or don't follow) your name when you sign it.

But, that brings us back to the issue at hand: B-Greek has functioned for many years with a certain desire to take what we say here seriously. We do not allow people to hide behind anonymity and to shoot out opinions that they wouldn't be held to in the real world. We are real folks giving our opinions, and we're interested in what you have to say - but not in screen names or monikers.

Thanks for your understanding. We await your response.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Beginners Forum”