Please help me to identify the letters in greek

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
3d1l

Please help me to identify the letters in greek

Post by 3d1l »

Hello,

I've been searching the Internet and found this forum. I subscribe to the forum in hopes that you can help me.

I need to identify the exact greek characters or letters ***in this image***. Can you please provide them to me?

I will really appreciate your help.

Best regards.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Please help me to identify the letters in greek

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

For future posting, please submit your first and last name as your screen name to a moderator. Or you can post it here and we can take care of it. This is B-Greek policy.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
nathaniel j. erickson

Post by nathaniel j. erickson »

Could you post a link to the entire image from which this is taken? I know by sight a some of the odder forms here (from the perspective of the way Modern Greek letters are printed), have guesses about what some of the others are, but it is difficult to be decisive without more words to figure out the different "letters" as the appear here.
Nathaniel J. Erickson
NT PhD candidate, ABD
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
ntgreeketal.com
ὅπου πλείων κόπος, πολὺ κέρδος
ΠΡΟΣ ΠΟΛΥΚΑΡΠΟΝ ΙΓΝΑΤΙΟΣ
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

It’s Euripides: σοφοῦ τέκτονος καλόν ποίκιλμα
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
3d1l

Post by 3d1l »

Barry I went to the user control panel to modify my profile but wasn't able to change the user name.

Stephen thanks.
nathaniel j. erickson

Post by nathaniel j. erickson »

It’s Euripides: σοφοῦ τέκτονος καλόν ποίκιλμα
I had no idea it was Euripides, but I feel accomplished in that my thoughts on the various letters turned out to be accurate. Have to do more practice with Byzantine hands.
Nathaniel J. Erickson
NT PhD candidate, ABD
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
ntgreeketal.com
ὅπου πλείων κόπος, πολὺ κέρδος
ΠΡΟΣ ΠΟΛΥΚΑΡΠΟΝ ΙΓΝΑΤΙΟΣ
Barry Hofstetter

3d1l wrote: September 5th, 2020, 1:48 am Barry I went to the user control panel to modify my profile but wasn't able to change the user name.

Stephen thanks.
You can't, actually. A moderator has to do it for you.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
3d1l

Post by 3d1l »

Hello again,

I have the nerve to write here again and I will say this with a feeling of inadequacy, because now I realize that many in the forum (perhaps all of you), are PhDs and scholars and I'm literally a simpleton, a nobody. Thing is that I had this idea to embark in the endeavor to translate Matthew Mead's book "The Almost Christian Discovered", when english is not even my first language but spanish (like the meme says; in my mind I speak english like godzilla but with my mouth I speak english like a geeko). After lot of work, translation of the main text is done (finished). Brothers in my church also assisted me checking the spelling and grammar and they like the book a lot. My church have a christian book store so I talked with my pastor and from one of his contacts I was told that there could be a very remote possibility (emphasis supplied in "very remote possibility"), that the book get published.

Thing is that I also want to include and explain all the original side notes made by the Mead on the book. I want to do that because I have learn so much with his notes (you have no idea), so I also want to share that information as well. Some of those notes are in greek, some in hebrew and some in latin. For some notes I have found almost all the information, from where was Mead citing, who was the author of the quote and I've been able to translate part of the text by reading other source that provides the idea of what's been said. But there are others that I can't find anything. For example, with the information that I get here and other sources, now I can explain that the author was quoting Euripides from the Sisyphus fragment (others attribute the work to Critas).

Another example: "Malus ubi bonum se simulat nunc est pessimus" here the author was quoting either from Francis Bacon's "Ornamenta Rationalia" or from Publilius Syrus's Moral Maxims. But what about the translation? Google translate - yeah right, good luck by the way sometimes the Yandex translation service is better.

Another: "τῷ ςεναγμῷ τῶν οωτερίαν ουνεξευγμένην" - Here I did found that he was quoting Nazianzen and I found who was Gregory Nazianzen but from which of Nazianzen's books is he quoting?

One more: "Peccatorum confessio synecdoche universam poenitentiam hoc loco significat. Vorft. In loc." - Here I'm completely lost, I can't find any reference. Who is "Vorft."? Conrad Vortius perhaps?

Last one: "ָּפנים חנים from the root חנף " - What!?!?

Those are just a minuscule few examples. There are many many many others, I could say a hundred.

So my question to you is, Where can I go to get information? So far I have use Google search and I do have Logos Bible software that has been useful with the greek and hebrew words and I also have the perseus library in Logos but it hasn't been of much help, I've been able to find information only on a couple of notes.
Barry Hofstetter

3d1l wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:40 pm Hello again,

I have the nerve to write here again and I will say this with a feeling of inadequacy, because now I realize that many in the forum (perhaps all of you), are PhDs and scholars and I'm literally a simpleton, a nobody. Thing is that I had this idea to embark in the endeavor to translate Matthew Mead's book "The Almost Christian Discovered", when english is not even my first language but spanish (like the meme says; in my mind I speak english like godzilla but with my mouth I speak english like a geeko). After lot of work, translation of the main text is done (finished). Brothers in my church also assisted me checking the spelling and grammar and they like the book a lot. My church have a christian book store so I talked with my pastor and from one of his contacts I was told that there could be a very remote possibility (emphasis supplied in "very remote possibility"), that the book get published.
All are welcome here as long as their main purpose is learning and discussing ancient Greek, and particularly the Koine of the Bible. We still need to change your screen name.

I strongly recommend having someone who knows the languages well go over your translations.
Another example: "Malus ubi bonum se simulat nunc est pessimus" here the author was quoting either from Francis Bacon's "Ornamenta Rationalia" or from Publilius Syrus's Moral Maxims. But what about the translation? Google translate - yeah right, good luck by the way sometimes the Yandex translation service is better.
"A bad man is now the worst when he pretends to be good."
Another: "τῷ ςεναγμῷ τῶν οωτερίαν ουνεξευγμένην" - Here I did found that he was quoting Nazianzen and I found who was Gregory Nazianzen but from which of Nazianzen's books is he quoting?
Not sure because of the misspellings.
"
One more: "Peccatorum confessio synecdoche universam poenitentiam hoc loco significat. Vorft. In loc." - Here I'm completely lost, I can't find any reference. Who is "Vorft."? Conrad Vortius perhaps?
I can't help you with the reference, but "Confession of sins, by synechdoche, signifies universal repentance in this passage."
Last one: "ָּפנים חנים from the root חנף " - What!?!?
You'll need a Hebrew guy for this one.
Those are just a minuscule few examples. There are many many many others, I could say a hundred.

So my question to you is, Where can I go to get information? So far I have use Google search and I do have Logos Bible software that has been useful with the greek and hebrew words and I also have the perseus library in Logos but it hasn't been of much help, I've been able to find information only on a couple of notes.
Not sure there is any one source that can help you.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
3d1l

Post by 3d1l »

Not sure because of the misspellings.
The first and the thrid word are ok. The second one I was able to find it exactly the same way in this other resouce. Here is a snip with the portion of the text with that word. For the other two that's the way they are presented in the book. Can you help me with those?

Return to “Beginners Forum”