Dorotheus of Gaza

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
mikeatnip

Dorotheus of Gaza

Post by mikeatnip »

To stretch my Biblical Greek I try reading texts other than the NT. Here is the opening paragraph of Dorotheus of Gaza's Asceticas.
Ἐν ἀρχῇ ὅτε ἐποίησεν ὁ Θεὸς τὸν ἄνθρωπον, ἔθετο αὐτὸν ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ, καθὼς λέγει ἡ ἁγία Γραφή, κοσμήσας ἁπάσῃ ἀρετῇ, δοὺς αὐτῷ ἐντολὴν τοῦ μὴ φαγεῖν ἐκ τοῦ ξύλου τοῦ ἐν μέσῳ τοῦ παραδείσου.
I can get everything except κοσμήσας. I expect this to be aorist 3rd singular, but it appears to be second singular. What am I missing?
Thanks
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Dorotheus of Gaza

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

mikeatnip wrote: August 18th, 2021, 10:07 am To stretch my Biblical Greek I try reading texts other than the NT. Here is the opening paragraph of Dorotheus of Gaza's Asceticas.
Ἐν ἀρχῇ ὅτε ἐποίησεν ὁ Θεὸς τὸν ἄνθρωπον, ἔθετο αὐτὸν ἐν τῷ παραδείσῳ, καθὼς λέγει ἡ ἁγία Γραφή, κοσμήσας ἁπάσῃ ἀρετῇ, δοὺς αὐτῷ ἐντολὴν τοῦ μὴ φαγεῖν ἐκ τοῦ ξύλου τοῦ ἐν μέσῳ τοῦ παραδείσου.
I can get everything except κοσμήσας. I expect this to be aorist 3rd singular, but it appears to be second singular. What am I missing?
Thanks
Neither. It's an aorist participle (parallel to δούς) in the nominative singular, "having adorned him with all virtue..."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
mikeatnip

Post by mikeatnip »

Thanks, Barry. Makes sense now why there is no augment. I chose a Greek text for which I have no English translation so that I have to figure things out without using "the interlinear crutch." Hobbling along, I decided to use the B-Greek crutch. :D
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Alpheios is really helpful for this kind of thing - you can quickly get inflections and definitions for text on any web page. Including this one.
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 15.42.50.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 15.42.50.png (149.26 KiB) Viewed 3001 times

The initial gloss may not fit, but you can get to LSJ with one click:

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 15.46.56.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 15.46.56.png (323.58 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
mikeatnip

Post by mikeatnip »

Thanks, Jonathan. I cannot reply to your PM it seems (because I am a new user, I assume), but yes, that is me. Had no idea anyone connected to PN would be on this board. ;)
And the Alpheius site seems to be a good resource, of which I was not aware.
Mike Atnip
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jonathan Robie wrote: August 18th, 2021, 3:48 pm Alpheios is really helpful for this kind of thing - you can quickly get inflections and definitions for text on any web page. Including this one.

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 15.42.50.png

The initial gloss may not fit, but you can get to LSJ with one click:

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 15.46.56.png
Or you can simply memorize principal parts and paradigms until you can do it instinctively.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
mikeatnip

Post by mikeatnip »

Like remembering that the nu and tau drop out of the aorist nominative participle. I used to know that; too much info trying to squeeze into my grey matter, and that detail got pushed out. Nice to have this little episode to insert it back in there. Hope it stays. :D
Mike Atnip
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: August 18th, 2021, 11:46 pm Or you can simply memorize principal parts and paradigms until you can do it instinctively.
But if you forget, or if you find it easier to learn by immersing yourself in real Greek and reading rather than memorizing tables, Alpheios can help. One click from the first dialog I showed, you can see this useful table:

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 15.43.38.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 15.43.38.png (103.27 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
And it also has Smyth, so you can go from that table to a grammar and read up on principal parts and paradigms in a useful grammar.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Philip Arend

Post by Philip Arend »

Excellent tool. Just downloaded and tried it out. Thanks.

Return to “Beginners Forum”