John 9:24 "..this man is a sinner"

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
victor.vicveh

John 9:24 "..this man is a sinner"

Post by victor.vicveh »

Hello everyone i have a question about Jn 9:24

Ἐφώνησαν οὖν τὸν ἄνθρωπον ἐκ δευτέρου ὃς ἦν τυφλὸς καὶ εἶπαν αὐτῷ· δὸς δόξαν τῷ θεῷ· ἡμεῖς οἴδαμεν ὅτι οὗτος ὁ ἄνθρωπος ἁμαρτωλός ἐστιν.
(Jn. 9:24 NA28).

Then they summoned the man who used to be blind a second time and said to him, “Promise before God to tell the truth. We know that this man is a sinner.
-The NET Bible (Jn 9:24). Biblical Studies Press.

What would be the sintactical function of ἁμαρτωλός?, is it a predicate nominative?, its a predicate adjective or a substantive adjective?

Thank you in advance.
S Walch

Re: John 9:24 "..this man is a sinner"

Post by S Walch »

Predicate adjective.
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

S Walch wrote: September 8th, 2021, 5:58 am Predicate adjective.
This is right, but it could also be considered a substantive, "sinner." As either adjective or substantive, definitely the predicate nominative.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

The distinction between nouns and adjectives is pretty weak in Greek, so spending a lot of time wondering which it is is spending less time with the Greek.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Barry Hofstetter

Stephen Carlson wrote: September 8th, 2021, 7:19 pm The distinction between nouns and adjectives is pretty weak in Greek, so spending a lot of time wondering which it is is spending less time with the Greek.
I think "weak" might be a bit of a strong term here... :) Most of the time, the distinction is clear, and it's important particularly for the beginning student to see this, and what options there might be for a PN, especially one that elsewhere has a lively occupation both as an adjective and a substantive. In the text cited, it makes practically no difference to the meaning.

As for wasting time wondering, some can wonder while they wander. Seriously, though, this is the sort of question beginning students should ask...
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Stephen Carlson

In Thrax, both what we call nouns and adjectives as different parts of speech are merely different species of a single part of speech, ὄνομα. Since adjectives can be readily substantivized with the article, we're getting to close to a distinction without a difference. (Obviously, not quite there since some but not all adjectives are gradable.)
Melbourne, Australia
Barry Hofstetter

Stephen Carlson wrote: September 9th, 2021, 9:15 pm In Thrax, both what we call nouns and adjectives as different parts of speech are merely different species of a single part of speech, ὄνομα. Since adjectives can be readily substantivized with the article, we're getting to close to a distinction without a difference. (Obviously, not quite there since some but not all adjectives are gradable.)
So you agree with Thrax's taxonomy on this? Interesting food for thought. As it is, I think the distinction is usually clear from usage and context, though the beginning student should be aware of the attributive use, e.g., ὁ ἄνθρωπος ὁ ἀγαθός where the article does not make the adjective a substantive. I'm not sure what you mean by "gradable."

Since I'n doing lots of Latin lately, Latin does the same thing with adjectives but no article, so even more context dependent. I simply tell my beginning students if there's a noun there in the same number, gender and case than it's likely the adjective. Otherwise, treat it as a pretending to be a noun... :) Of course one can find exceptions to this translationese rule.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Stephen Carlson

Not so much agree with Thrax, but recognizing that the categories are fuzzier for Greek than for English, and it’s useful to keep in mind how the Greek grammarians conceived of things.

Gradable means that it inflects for the positive, comparative, and superlative degrees.
Melbourne, Australia
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Stephen Carlson wrote: September 9th, 2021, 9:15 pm Since adjectives can be readily substantivized with the article, we're getting to close to a distinction without a difference. (Obviously, not quite there since some but not all adjectives are gradable.)
Hi Stephen

Could you clarify a point for me here ? Do you mean that there would be less or more distinction if all adjectives (or none) were gradable ?

Thx
D

Return to “Beginners Forum”