ἐξ-ετάζω in Clement

The forum for those who still struggle with morphology, syntax, and idiom, or who wish to discuss basic questions about the meaning of Greek texts, syntax, or words.
Forum rules
This is not a place for students to ask for the answers to their homework assignments. Users who do that may be banned.
mikeatnip

ἐξ-ετάζω in Clement

Post by mikeatnip »

Καὶ πῶς ἔτι οὗτος ἐν τῷ καθʼ ἡμᾶς ἐξετασθείη λόγῳ, ἄντικρυς καὶ τὸν νόμον καὶ τὸ Εὐαγγέλιον διὰ τούτων καθαιρῶν;

J. P. Migne, “Patrologia Graeca: Greek Text,” Patrologiæ Cursus Completus (J. P. Migne, 1857), 1109.

This is from Clement's Stromaties book 3. I read a translation that says, "How can this fellow still be listed in our church members’ register when he openly does away with the Law and the Gospels alike by these words?" (John Ferguson) and I wondered what the Greek word for "church members' register" was, since that would be the first instance (that I am aware of) where some type of official church membership list is referenced in the early church. But as I read this in the original Greek, I don't see anything like a "register". It seems that "And how can this man still be reckoned among our number when he openly abolishes both law and gospel by these words?" would be more accurate. (From The Library of Christian Classics, Vol. 2)
But ... I cannot quite wrap my head around "ἐν τῷ καθʼ ἡμᾶς ἐξετασθείη λόγῳ". Middle LSJ (IV) for ἐξ-ετάζω does indicate a sense of "to be found in the number of" when used with a genitive.
Any guidance? Thanks!
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian
S Walch

Re: ἐξ-ετάζω in Clement

Post by S Walch »

More than likely λόγῳ is the word underlying "members register", with it's usage for public or private accounts being in view. See the LSJ entry for λόγος, I. 1 and 1b: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 3Dlo%2Fgos
mikeatnip

Re: ἐξ-ετάζω in Clement

Post by mikeatnip »

S Walch wrote: May 27th, 2023, 4:51 am More than likely λόγῳ is the word underlying "members register", with it's usage for public or private accounts being in view. See the LSJ entry for λόγος, I. 1 and 1b: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 3Dlo%2Fgos
Thanks. After posting I did think about the possibility of λόγῳ being an "official account" rather than what we "reckon/unofficially account" in our mind. I guess I need to dig deeper into uses of λόγῳ to see how much it may have been used as some sort of "official register/account/record."
Mike Atnip
May I not debate presumptuously; may I not be silent impudently. May I learn beneficial speech; may I acquire discerning silence. -Ephrem the Syrian

Return to “Beginners Forum”