Epistle to Diogenetus

Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Epistle to Diogenetus

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: July 30th, 2020, 9:46 am ... but remember that it was originally understood with τόπου, "place" and that's how I read it here, "the place where they are going to go, this they call god."
Yes, I agree with that, but the original question posed wasn't one about place. The original question was a What question not a WHERE question. The shift from what to where in the parenthetical part is the reason it is translated as a parenthetical remark. It is off-topic in a discussion τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός. The fact that pagans are presented here as thinking of divinity as a What and not a Who is itself noteworthy.

Diog. 8:1 Τίς γὰρ ὅλως ἀνθρώπων ἠπίστατο τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός, πρὶν αὐτὸν ἐλθεῖν; 2 ἢ τοὺς κενοὺς καὶ ληρώδεις ἐκείνων λόγους ἀποδέχῃ τῶν ἀξιοπίστων φιλοσόφων; ὧν οἱ μέν τινες πῦρ ἔφασαν εἶναι τὸν θεόν (οὗ μέλλουσι χωρήσειν αὐτοί, τοῦτο καλοῦσι θεόν) ...

POSTSCRIPT:

This source I cited in my original post is a mystery to me. It just appeared in a search for the text I was working on. I am having problems providing a link to it. If I paste this into Safari address box it gets me to the right place: https://early_christian_el_en.enacademic.com/4984/%CF%87%CF%89%CF%81%CE%AD%CF%89
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: July 30th, 2020, 9:46 am ... but remember that it was originally understood with τόπου, "place" and that's how I read it here, "the place where they are going to go, this they call god."
Yes, I agree with that, but the original question posed wasn't one about place. The original question was a What question not a WHERE question. The shift from what to where in the parenthetical part is the reason it is translated as a parenthetical remark. It is off-topic in a discussion τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός. The fact that pagans are presented here as thinking of divinity as a What and not a Who is itself noteworthy.

Diog. 8:1 Τίς γὰρ ὅλως ἀνθρώπων ἠπίστατο τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός, πρὶν αὐτὸν ἐλθεῖν; 2 ἢ τοὺς κενοὺς καὶ ληρώδεις ἐκείνων λόγους ἀποδέχῃ τῶν ἀξιοπίστων φιλοσόφων; ὧν οἱ μέν τινες πῦρ ἔφασαν εἶναι τὸν θεόν (οὗ μέλλουσι χωρήσειν αὐτοί, τοῦτο καλοῦσι θεόν) ...

Okay, I thought your question was about whether οὗ was adverbial or pronominal. Yes, it's paranthetical, and it is a bit of a shift, I suppose, but not sure why that fact is in and of itself important.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:35 pm %CF%87%CF%89%CF%81%CE%AD%CF%89
χωρέω
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Just found a Greek-English interlinear Epistle to Diogenetus.

Some folks might find this useful. Every translation is a commentary. I was trying to pull up Bart Eherman's LCL on Diogenetus 8.1 but found this instead.

Anon. Epistle to Diognetus, Interlinear English - G.T. Emery.

http://www.embarl.force9.co.uk/Other/ToDiognetus.pdf
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”