Epistle to Diogenetus

Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Epistle to Diogenetus

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: July 30th, 2020, 9:46 am ... but remember that it was originally understood with τόπου, "place" and that's how I read it here, "the place where they are going to go, this they call god."
Yes, I agree with that, but the original question posed wasn't one about place. The original question was a What question not a WHERE question. The shift from what to where in the parenthetical part is the reason it is translated as a parenthetical remark. It is off-topic in a discussion τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός. The fact that pagans are presented here as thinking of divinity as a What and not a Who is itself noteworthy.

Diog. 8:1 Τίς γὰρ ὅλως ἀνθρώπων ἠπίστατο τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός, πρὶν αὐτὸν ἐλθεῖν; 2 ἢ τοὺς κενοὺς καὶ ληρώδεις ἐκείνων λόγους ἀποδέχῃ τῶν ἀξιοπίστων φιλοσόφων; ὧν οἱ μέν τινες πῦρ ἔφασαν εἶναι τὸν θεόν (οὗ μέλλουσι χωρήσειν αὐτοί, τοῦτο καλοῦσι θεόν) ...

POSTSCRIPT:

This source I cited in my original post is a mystery to me. It just appeared in a search for the text I was working on. I am having problems providing a link to it. If I paste this into Safari address box it gets me to the right place: https://early_christian_el_en.enacademic.com/4984/%CF%87%CF%89%CF%81%CE%AD%CF%89
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: July 30th, 2020, 9:46 am ... but remember that it was originally understood with τόπου, "place" and that's how I read it here, "the place where they are going to go, this they call god."
Yes, I agree with that, but the original question posed wasn't one about place. The original question was a What question not a WHERE question. The shift from what to where in the parenthetical part is the reason it is translated as a parenthetical remark. It is off-topic in a discussion τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός. The fact that pagans are presented here as thinking of divinity as a What and not a Who is itself noteworthy.

Diog. 8:1 Τίς γὰρ ὅλως ἀνθρώπων ἠπίστατο τί ποτ᾿ ἐστὶ θεός, πρὶν αὐτὸν ἐλθεῖν; 2 ἢ τοὺς κενοὺς καὶ ληρώδεις ἐκείνων λόγους ἀποδέχῃ τῶν ἀξιοπίστων φιλοσόφων; ὧν οἱ μέν τινες πῦρ ἔφασαν εἶναι τὸν θεόν (οὗ μέλλουσι χωρήσειν αὐτοί, τοῦτο καλοῦσι θεόν) ...

Okay, I thought your question was about whether οὗ was adverbial or pronominal. Yes, it's paranthetical, and it is a bit of a shift, I suppose, but not sure why that fact is in and of itself important.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Stirling Bartholomew wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:35 pm %CF%87%CF%89%CF%81%CE%AD%CF%89
χωρέω
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Just found a Greek-English interlinear Epistle to Diogenetus.

Some folks might find this useful. Every translation is a commentary. I was trying to pull up Bart Eherman's LCL on Diogenetus 8.1 but found this instead.

Anon. Epistle to Diognetus, Interlinear English - G.T. Emery.

http://www.embarl.force9.co.uk/Other/ToDiognetus.pdf
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”