τῆς δευτέρας μου παρουσίας

Stirling Bartholomew

τῆς δευτέρας μου παρουσίας

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Today I was reading in Oecumenius commentary on the Apocalypse and ran across the expression τῆς δευτέρας μου παρουσίας. I wondered which Father used this first. Justin Martyr used the expression. Couldn't find it in the Apostolic Fathers. It appears many times in NT Catenae which tells me nothing. I have run multiple searches and keep ending up at Justin Martyr. Didn't search any other language.

Anyone able to find some form of the expression before Justin Martyr?

Postscript: My wanderings in Church Father's have never been systematic and there are huge gaps.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Jean Putmans

Re: τῆς δευτέρας μου παρουσίας

Post by Jean Putmans »

I did a quick check for δευτερ[α-ω]* AND παρουσ[α-ω]* in my (rough) PG-Migne Textcorpus. The result is added as an attachment
δευτεροσ + παρουσια.pdf
(81.1 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Maybe this will help you.

If you would like me, to make a list of specific Migne-Texts, please let me know. That would be some more work, but I would be glad to be of any help.

Regards
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

If I remember correctly, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament indicates that it was first Justin Martyr who used the phrase “second coming.”

I have an offline version of Thesaurus Linguae Graecae and the program Diogenes for searching it, but after I updated Diogenes to the latest version, it stopped working on my computer. So I currently cannot do a proximity lemma search for parousia + deuteros to see whether there was someone who used phrases like “second coming” before Justin Martyr.

Perhaps someone has subscription to the full online corpus of Thesaurus Linguae Graecae and is able to do the search there.
Stirling Bartholomew

Jean Putmans wrote: December 4th, 2021, 2:10 am I did a quick check for δευτερ[α-ω]* AND παρουσ[α-ω]* in my (rough) PG-Migne Textcorpus. The result is added as an attachment δευτεροσ + παρουσια.pdf.

Maybe this will help you.

If you would like me, to make a list of specific Migne-Texts, please let me know. That would be some more work, but I would be glad to be of any help.

Regards
Thank you, what you provided is very helpful and adequate to serve my purpose. I haven't looked at anything later than John of Damascus so these samples are a significant extension. Assigning dates to names it looks like Justine Martyr is the earliest. Disambiguating a few names, for example Leo the Presbyter, proved to be a challenge. Without exception these people were later than Justine Martyr.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stirling Bartholomew

Bernd Strauss wrote: December 4th, 2021, 9:47 am If I remember correctly, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament indicates that it was first Justin Martyr who used the phrase “second coming.”

Which dictionary was that? Was it under the word παρουσία?
parousia, S 3952; TDNT 5.858–871; EDNT 3.43–44; NIDNTT 2.887, 898–903, 907, 932–934; MM 497; L&N 25.158, 28.29; BAGD 629–630; ND 4.167–168

Theological Lexicon of the New Testament
by Ceslas Spicq, O.P.
Translated and edited by James D. Ernest.
Copyright © 1994 by Hendrickson Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Jean Putmans

Post by Jean Putmans »

In Justin Martyrs work I found at least one instance of δευτεροσ + παρουσια
Justin Martyr.pdf
(43.12 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Regards

Jean
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
Jean Putmans

Post by Jean Putmans »

I Think it's the Kittel Dictionary. In my german original Edition, KIttel mentions Justin as resource for first/second advent.
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament.
I remember reading the entry on the word παρουσία which refers to Justin Martyr.

I have done a 2-line proximity search for deuter[..] + parousia[..] in the offline version of TLG within the range of 1-2 centuries C.E. Among the Christian authors and anonymous works listed in the results is the apocryphal Testament of Abraham, which is said to have been composed probably in the 1st or 2nd century CE. All the other authors listed were either contemporaries of Justin Martyr or lived after him.
The passage in the apocryphal Testament of Abraham where the words deutera and parousia occur together:
Testamentum Abrahae, Testamentum Abrahae (recensio A) (olim partim sub auctore Hesychio Hierosolymitano) (1701: 001)
“The testament of Abraham”, Ed. James, M.R.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1892; Texts and Studies 2.2.
Section 13, line 18
κόσμον μέχρι τῆς μεγάλης καὶ ἐνδόξου αὐτοῦ παρουσίας·
καὶ τότε, δίκαιε Ἁβραὰμ, γίνεται τελεία κρίσις καὶ ἀντα-
πόδοσις, αἰωνία καὶ ἀμετάθετος, ἣν οὐδεὶς δύναται ἀνα-
κρῖναι· πᾶς γὰρ ἄνθρωπος ἐκ τοῦ πρωτοπλάστου γεγέν-
νηται, καὶ διὰ τοῦτο ἐνταῦθα πρῶτον ἐκ τοῦ υἱοῦ αὐτοῦ
κρίνονται· καὶ ἐν τῇ δευτέρᾳ παρουσίᾳ κριθήσονται ὑπὸ
τῶν δώδεκα φυλῶν τοῦ Ἰσραὴλ, καὶ πᾶσα πνοὴ καὶ πᾶσα
κτίσις. τὸ δὲ τρίτον, ὑπὸ τοῦ δεσπότου θεοῦ τῶν ἁπάντων
κριθήσονται καὶ τότε λοιπὸν τῆς κρίσεως ἐκείνης τὸ τέλος
ἐγγὺς, καὶ φοβερὰ ἡ ἀπόφασις, καὶ ὁ λύων οὐδείς· καὶ
λοιπὸν διὰ τριῶν βημάτων γίνεται ἡ κρίσις τοῦ κόσμου
Stirling Bartholomew

Bernd Strauss wrote: December 5th, 2021, 7:29 am

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament.
I remember reading the entry on the word παρουσία which refers to Justin Martyr.
TDNT VOL 5, Page 870.

RE: δευτέρᾳ παρουσίᾳ in “The testament of AbrahamGood hunting, I probably didn't notice that since the apocrypha were outside my scope. I vaguely recall passing over works from the apocrypha as I was sifting a small mountain of search results.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Stirling Bartholomew

Jean Putmans wrote: December 4th, 2021, 3:55 pm In Justin Martyrs work I found at least one instance of δευτεροσ + παρουσια Justin Martyr.pdf

Regards

Jean
Thank You.

I was thinking about this again this morning and taking into consideration that παρουσία without qualification was used in the NT for the central eschatological event. At some point in the early history of the church authors began to use additional terminology to disambiguate παρουσία. I found another passage in Justin Martyr which sheds some light on this.
Justinus Martyr Apol., Dialog with Tryphone
Goodspeed, E.J. 1915.
Ch 51, §2, ln 10

Καὶ διὰ Ἰακὼβ δὲ τοῦ πατριάρχου προεφητεύθη
ὅτι δύο τοῦ Χριστοῦ παρουσίαι ἔσονται, καὶ ὅτι ἐν τῇ πρώτῃ
παθητὸς ἔσται, καὶ ὅτι μετὰ τὸ αὐτὸν ἐλθεῖν οὔτε προφήτης
οὔτε βασιλεὺς ἐν τῷ γένει ὑμῶν, ἐπήνεγκα, καὶ ὅτι τὰ ἔθνη,
πιστεύοντα ἐπὶ τὸν παθητὸν Χριστόν, πάλιν παραγενησόμενον
προσδοκήσει. ἐν παραβολῇ δὲ καὶ παρακεκαλυμμένως τὸ πνεῦμα
τὸ ἅγιον διὰ τοῦτο αὐτὰ ἐλελαλήκει, ἔφην.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”