other gamma nasals

Is vocalizing the Greek words and sentences important? If so, how should Greek be pronounced (what arguments can be made for one pronunciation over another or others?) How can I write Greek characters clearly and legibly?
Jesse Goulet

other gamma nasals

Post by Jesse Goulet »

I'm well aware that gamma nasals occur when a gamma is followed by another gamma, or a kappa, chi, or xi. But when about instances such as the kappa-chi in words such as ἐκχέω? Is the kappa in this word pronounced as a gamma nasal?
MAubrey

Re: other gamma nasals

Post by MAubrey »

If it does happen, Francis Gignac says absolutely nothing about it. And his volume on phonology in the papyri of the Roman papyri is extremely thorough. I also don't see anything that would suggest that's the case in Vit Bubenik's volume on the phonology of Classical Greek dialects.

So my inclination is to say, "No."
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Stephen Hughes

Mod Grk pronunciation of -κχ-

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jesse Goulet wrote:I'm well aware that gamma nasals occur when a gamma is followed by another gamma, or a kappa, chi, or xi. But when about instances such as the kappa-chi in words such as ἐκχέω? Is the kappa in this word pronounced as a gamma nasal?
As for Modern Greek phonology, your ἐκχέω would be pronounced ekxéo (where the x is like our "h"). cf. έκχυση in Triandafyllidis
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Hughes

Another velar nasal across word boundaries

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Jesse Goulet wrote:in words such as
If you were willing to go beyond the limitation of the wording of your question, and look at the possible phonology not the recorded spelling, you could consider things like ἐν κρυπτῷ John 7:4 et passim in the light of the ἐνέκρυψεν from ἐγκρύπτω in Matthew 13:33 and Luke 13:12, where the final nu may have been pronounced as a velar nasal before "another gamma, or a kappa, chi, or xi" (the cases that you have mentioned for the gamma) as it is in Modern Greek pronunciation.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Alphabet and Pronunciation”